Size of pot for 12 inch high miniature rose?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
julie777

Size of pot for 12 inch high miniature rose?

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am

I have a miniature rose which is described as 12 inches tall, Baby Goldstar. It isn't its full height yet as it is a young plant, and I read that it can grow a bit taller than 12 inches, but everywhere it is described as 12 inches high. I have it growing in a pot that is 12.5 inches high, on the assumption that trees need the same room for their roots as their height. The diameter of the pot is 13 inches at the top, tapering down.

Is this the correct size of pot for a 12 inch miniature rose? When it is fully grown will it take up the full pot? It looks a little dwarfed by its pot at the moment, and I was wondering for future reference if I should have planted it in a smaller pot?

(The white deposit on some leaves is some Sulphur Rose that I sprayed it with to deter fungal infections, it seems like a reasonably organic product, but I am no expert and experimenting with what works and what doesn't).
Attachments
2C9B1B35-73A0-43E9-BAC2-F7CEAB444E62.jpeg
192C227E-3C52-4046-98F9-0E370890BD96.jpeg
4C143A7B-8184-4458-B638-7B89B721F2C2.jpeg
Zone 9.

roseseek

Re: Size of pot for 12 inch high miniature rose?

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:27 am

Zone 9, where? The pot size may suffice, depending upon how warm your Zone 9 is and how much direct, full sun the plant will endure. Also, is that pot ceramic or plastic? I can't tell from the photos, but direct sun, particularly on a masonry surface, close to a cement or stucco wall which receives direct sun during warmer months, can cause ceramic pots to become "Corning Ware" cookware. They heat up quite hot and remain hot for a long time after the sun moves from shining directly on them. Add the passive solar heating from the concrete and stucco surfaces and you could well have a mini rose cooked well done. I realize Zone 9's can vary greatly but as the climate moves to increasingly more severe extremes, it's definitely something to question. Zone 9b San Fernando Valley could produce a 95 F day. At the same time, Zone 9b Santa Clarita Valley could produce a 105 F day. The same day, at virtually the same hour, Zone 9b Santa Maria, CA could easily produce a 65 to 70 F day and that temp is likely to be only for an hour or so before the ocean breeze arrives to drop temps up to 15 degrees, while those of the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys could easily remain near or above 90 for many hours.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

julie777

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 am

South coast of England. The hottest summer day doesn't usually go above 25 degrees Centigrade (77 degrees Fahrenheit), and that bit of patio is very cool and gets shadows for much of the day. We did have an exception for about a week last August when temperatures reached 30 degrees Centigrade (86 degrees Fahrenheit), but even then that bit of patio was an oasis of coolness to sit in. This is a maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers, at latitude 50 degrees North. It isn't the perfect place for roses because of probably not enough sunlight, which is why it is painted white to maximise the light. Winters very rarely dip below freezing point (0 degrees Centigrade, 32 degrees Fahrenheit), so most years we don't get snow. I have a few miniature roses in that patio, as well as the Angel Wings, and Feverfew and Chamomile everywhere, and they do survive but they seem to be a few weeks behind roses planted elsewhere where there is a bit more sun.

I did take your advice last summer and constantly checked the temperature of the pots, and they did stay cool, maybe partly due to the canopy of overhanging Feverfew plants on the edge of the pots, absorbing heat. Yes that pot is glazed terracotta, I love glazed terracotta pots but I will be careful where I put them, not in hot sun without shading. I noticed also that anything painted white is cool to the touch in hot summer, whereas adjacent areas painted black get hot. Though anything painted white maximises light, but not heat?
Last edited by julie777 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 9.

roseseek

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Marvelous! Thank you! In situations such as yours, a ceramic or terracotta pot can be beneficial as they can increase the heat absorbed from the sun in the cool air. I worked for some years right on the beach in Pacific Palisades, where they grow slime mold for lawns. It remained so cool and damp, if you wanted tomatoes, strawberries and oranges to absorb enough heat to become sweet, they had to be planted in heat absorbing pots on southern or western facing hardscape against hot walls. Probably pretty much as the British have successfully grown frost tender plants for generations. The only people who successfully brought Plumeria to flower there also grew them in hot pots, on hot patios against hot walls. Many don't consider the tremendous differences those passive solar collectors can produce.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

rikuhelin1

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:19 pm

From the cold dry continental climate zone, looks like a glazed pot ... not a big fan of them, size looks okay to me for a couple of years if left at least 4 fingers of depth from bottom of root ball and sides (only my way, not Toby Buckland sanctioned :), assume crock(s) in bottom and has drainage holes if in UK “temperate maritime climate” say like l find in south coast Cornwall or Devon.
Riku

julie777

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:52 pm

rikuhelin1 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:19 pm
From the cold dry continental climate zone, looks like a glazed pot ... not a big fan of them, size looks okay to me for a couple of years if left at least 4 fingers of depth from bottom of root ball and sides (only my way, not Toby Buckland sanctioned :), assume crock(s) in bottom and has drainage holes if in UK “temperate maritime climate” say like l find in south coast Cornwall or Devon.
Our latitude is between 50 and 51 degrees North. Only the Gulf Stream makes such a northern latitude so warm, and the sea moderates the temperature, keeping our winters warmer and our summers cooler. There are maybe other effects of being so far north, such as less UVB in sunlight? We get the odd very hot week in summer sometimes, I think the weather forecasters say this heat comes from the Sahara. Most roses seem to handle the heatwave better than humans do, as long as you water them and check that those in terracotta pots aren't in direct line from the sun or getting hot. I have more of a problem making sure roses get enough light, moving them into the best positions.

Yes these pots come with nice drainage holes, and I use plenty of perlite mixed in with potting compost, which seems to help drainage. I did find when re-using an old (plastic) pot that was already here with some long dead plant in it, that the little rose I planted in it didn't thrive so well, it was spindly and weak with browning leaves, maybe because the soil was old and compacted and I should have at least emptied the old compost out and started afresh.

I just love those glazed pots. Maybe eventually I will have to give them up for plastic ones, or wooden ones, or even hanging baskets lined with coconut fibre. But so far they seem to do the job ok in the place they are.
Zone 9.

rikuhelin1

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Sounds like you are well versed on your rose potting and growing needs, conditions - and pot size is good.

South facing walls are premium real-estate for my roses. Plans this year are to see a private 4 acre walled garden via a friend.

My roses have about four months of growing but for most part have excellent foliage aka “right plant in right place” ... took awhile to surrender to that reality when gave up on chinas in pots. Right plants (roses) get long sunlight hours here, in the warm to hot dry summer climate.

I use tall glazed pots for bedding/wall flowers that in all day sun - believing less frequent watering required after a good soak.

Must admit like the aesthetics of florescence that builds up on terra cotta pots
Riku