If you can, please help save Burlington Roses!

A meeting place for rose breeders.
roseseek

If you can, please help save Burlington Roses!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:21 pm

Her well has gone dry. The new one needs to be drilled to 400' and will require a new pump. The price tag? $70,000! Burling's sister has started a Go Fund Me page to help her at this link. Burling is one of the remaining sources for many minis including quite a few of the Moore roses. She also supplies an extensive collection of large roses. She is an ethical business person and a "one woman show". She is someone and a resource we can ill afford to lose. Please help as you are able! Thank you. Kim Rupert

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-bu ... Y38CG_j_Yw
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

david zlesak

Re: If you can, please help save Burlington Roses!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 am

Thank you for letting us know Kim! I really appreciate Burling and am very glad to make a donation to help her get a new well and keep her roses and business going. I hope she is able to get water trucks or use water from a neighbor, etc. to get by in the meantime. I fear that situation myself with how dry it has been by me lately and all the irrigation I've been doing to keep containers and ground beds irrigated. I think I'm watering 6-8 hours a day (setting up sprinklers, letting them run, moving them, etc.)...
Last edited by david zlesak on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

roseseek

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 am

Wow! Thank you, David. This really should have been expected in the Central Valley, where some areas have subsided over 50' due to water pumping. Historically, it was a massive inland sea with the water percolating downward to form their massive aquifer. Now that's gone (or nearly so) once there are sufficient rains (hopefully!) I wonder how many square miles of lake we will see? Good luck with your well and irrigation! We're facing potential water restrictions here. Fun...
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

minutifolia

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm

Thank you for letting us know, Kim. I sent a Go fund me contribution and did my best to shove the info onto Facebook. I'll try to get it on some of the rose Facebook sites; European Rose Breeders, and other passionate rose growing sites. There seem to be quite a few. Forum members: Do you participate on some of these sites and can pass along this important message?
-Brian

roseseek

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks, Brian. It's pretty well saturated on Face Book. I also took it to HOUZZ/Garden Web and the National Gardening Association. Garden America Radio show interviewed Burling this morning for their Face Book podcast. I know others are sharing the information to other plant societies as well.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15