common moss

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

common moss

Thu May 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Has anyone worked with this one?
After I waded through the multitude of names for it, and then the incredible multitude of names for all of the sports from it,
I came across three roses that were bred from it as seed parent. Pollen parents were (please pardon the butchering in spelling, I don't want to look them each up) Mdm Caroline Testoute, Karl dr? and Madame Ediouard Harriot which I am not familiar with.
I know nothing of these roses, other than the little that is on HMF, but it got me to wondering about it.

Has anyone tried using this rose either direction? Results?

I purchased Berenger (from High Country Roses) because it was listed as having some repeat, and the leaves are a bit different, so I was hoping to gain repeat sooner with it. About to test it both ways.
I also have William Lobb and I am hoping it will throw a few blooms for pollen for me.
I passed on Scarlet Moss, although I almost purchased it, but fragrance is really high on my list of importance.
Duane

roseseek

Re: common moss

Fri May 28, 2021 12:55 am

I considered it, but then figured I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I used Ralph Moore's mosses instead. It took him MANY years of sorting through worthless moss hybrids until he found the ones which created what he produced. If you have the room, time and energy to replicate that, good luck!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

minutifolia

Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 am

I wonder if his delicate little beauty, Dresden Doll, would be useful? Pine-scented moss and mildly fragrant little semi-double pink blooms, though best appreciated close-up, presumably from the prone position I suppose.

roseseek

Fri May 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Paul Barden seems to have had the most success with Dresden Doll. I never observed hips on mine in the Newhall garden, but that was in the ground, outdoors. I've always considered this one best grown as a mini standard in a pot so its beauty could be more easily enjoyed. I've had the most interesting results from using the one Mr. Moore (and Paul) named for me. It breeds like a fertile triploid, passing stripes and mossing easily, together and separately. Its pollen is more useful than as a seed parent. I'd love to obtain Fairy Moss again. I want to use it with R. Minutifolia to see what it might produce.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

mntlover

Fri May 28, 2021 9:31 pm

I will probably end up trying Dresden Doll and Scarlet Moss if I want to focus on Moss. My problem is lack of cold hardiness and lack of fragrance.
As much as I love the moss, I would prioritize the fragrance and cold hardiness over the mossing, which led me to wonder what would happen if the beginning crosses were different. Of course it probably won't be worth the effort.
However the Damask route isn't seeming easier. Nor is the Alba, although they can probably be done with persistence.
Gallicas may prove easier, which I am working on.
But moss roses are great. Besides, I would like more of a shrub rose, much like the original moss roses.
Anyway, random speculation.
Duane