Hulthemia Hybrids That Can Survive in the South?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jwdykes

Hulthemia Hybrids That Can Survive in the South?

Sun May 16, 2021 11:55 am

I absolutely adore the bee that hulthemias have. However, I live in an area that is somewhat black-spot prone. Are there any good commercially available hulthemias with decent blackspot resistance? I might try crossing these with native roses at some point, but the main goal is to keep the characteristic bee with good disease resistance. Thoughts?

shoy

Re: Hulthemia Hybrids That Can Survive in the South?

Sun May 16, 2021 8:49 pm

Eyes on Me/Raspberry Kiss has been minimally impacted by leaf spot (both black spot and cercospera) in my no spray garden in central GA. I acquired Ringo last year and saw some issues, but it has improved now that it is in the ground.

Stephen
Stephen Hoy
Singularly Beautiful Roses
Warner Robins, GA

Plazbo

Re: Hulthemia Hybrids That Can Survive in the South?

Mon May 17, 2021 1:12 am

I have that (but named Bright As A Button here in Australia, so high temp and wet summers when not in drought and generally lots of black spot) and agree with the minimally impacted. Same seems to be true of most of Chris Warners roses (he has almost a dozen hulthemia hybrids out, just maybe not all of them in the USA yet) being mostly healthy.

The main issue with his hulthemias is if they produce hips they generally produce a lot of hips and seed but you don't end up with a lot of seedlings so may work better as pollen parents in general. Using modern pollen on species may not be the ideal or favoured route for many.

Jim Sproul has been using one of them (Eye of the Tiger/Ringo) and he noted that the eye didn't pass on as often as he thought it would so just another thing to consider. I tend to agree with a bit, I don't have many eyed hulthemia seedlings stemming from warners roses (although whether that stems from the low germination, low inheritance or something else I haven't paid much attention).

Some of them have long whippy canes with nasty thorns (ie if there's strong wind, don't go near....Candy Eyes got me bad).

Healthy, just might be a bit of hurdle to get the first generation.