First Ripe Hips

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mwesson

First Ripe Hips

Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am

It's awfully early in the season, but I've collected my first ripe hips of the year. Cross was R. rugosa alba x mixed pollen (Canary Bird & Miracle on the Hudson). The rugosa was grown from seeds from Sheffield's Seeds. Rugosas don't much like it here on the Gulf Coast, but they survive and I get a handful of blooms each year. They bloom early and, since they only need a couple of months to ripen their hips, they're always the first to produce ripe hips. Out of five blooms I got four hips and 134 seeds. I've been trying to get something from Canary Bird for years with no success. It's also a very early bloomer. I know Tom Silvers successfully crossed rugosa with xanthina, so I thought I'd try it. This is my first season with Miracle on the Hudson so I've been trying it on everything to see what works. I have a second rugosa alba seedling from the same source that also bloomed early this year. I tried a straight cross with Canary Bird pollen on two blooms of that plant and have one fat hip forming there too, so hopefully I'll get at least a few seedlings from the Canary Bird pollen.

Mark