Back in the game

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Mike Fitts

Back in the game

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 am

It has been 11 years since I've thought about growing a rose let alone, think about hybridizing. 2010, I lost my whole collection of roses to RRD. I have a small yard and I had accumulated more roses than my yard could handle. Instead of keeping some at my house and move some I decided to move them all to my dad's three acre lot. Mistake. Multiflora in the yard next door, that I honestly didn't even know was there, had witches broom growing out the top. Once I saw that, I was concerned, and within a year, my roses were done for.

Lesson learned. I felt really bad because I was growing roses from a lot of different people on here and some Canadian varieties that weren't available in the US. I felt like I let them down. So I just quit.

Well, I have the itch to do this again. Gonna stay small this time and keep everything I grow in my yard.

I am starting out with some proprietary stuff thanks to Kim Rupert. I will also be purchasing a few.

Carefree Beauty
Lemon Fizz
Baby Love
Sunny Knock Out
Hot Cocoa
Midnight Blue
Blue for You
R. soulieana
R. acicularis "Aurora"

I don't really have a specific goal yet other than to have fun. I love the fact that rose hybridizing combines both art and science. I am calling it creative engineering.

I am also enjoying catching up reading this forum. Thanks to everyone who shares.

Mike Fitts
Akron, Oh Zone 6
Last edited by Mike Fitts on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margit Schowalter

Re: Back in the game

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Welcome back Mike!

Mike Fitts

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:28 pm

Thanks Margit!

shoy

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 pm

Indeed, have fun. I only raise several dozen seedlings - a hundred at most. The first bloom on a seedling is still a thrill.
Stephen
Stephen Hoy
Singularly Beautiful Roses
Warner Robins, GA

tsilvers

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Welcome back Mike!
I just went back and searched my e-mail and couldn't believe how long ago it was that we last had correspondence.
It looked like in the last message I could find, that I was going to send you some roses, but I honestly can't remember ever actually doing that.
I'd love to hear from you again and could send those roses finally too, if you're still interested.
My e-mail address is still the same. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll PM you through this forum.
Glad you've come back to the fold. ;)