I. D. of hybrid spin?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

I. D. of hybrid spin?

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:25 pm

I was wondering if anyone recognizes this rose? It was growing in a garden we visited at a local nursery. At the back end there were various old roses (gallica, damask), then hybrid rugosas, then a hybrid spin. ( Kakwa) and this rose was right beside it, so I figured it was a hybrid spin, which it looked like. I know for certain the picture with my wife in front of the shrub is the rose in question. I believe the other two pictures are of the same rose from the previous year. For reference, Kakwa growing beside it was a very large shrub also, maybe a bit smaller. Everything grows huge in their mild coastal climate.
I got some pollen from Kakwa and this shrub also. Since several of the germinated seedlings have survived and seem to be growing well I thought it would be nice to know the pollen parent.

thanks for any input!
Duane
Attachments
hollys surprise pic 3.jpg
hollys surprise oic 2.jpg
hollys surprise pic 1.jpg

mntlover

Re: I. D. of hybrid spin?

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:27 pm

I should have added that it was fragrant, which was a huge reason that she liked it and I chose to use its pollen.
Duane

MidAtlas

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 pm

It reminds me more than a little of one of the "Fruhlings..." series. For what it's worth, I've long believed that they (the ones I'm familiar with) were not actually bred from a form of R. spinsoissima at all, but something more akin to R. laxa.

Stefan

mntlover

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks for the input! Very interesting! Would this account for the fragrance? It was a fairly strong fragrance? I am assuming this would be fairly hardy? I am unfamiliar with the series but will look it up.

Perhaps this would account for this cross seeming to be more agreeable with the seed parents (to a small extent) than the Kakwa pollen is.

I found it very interesting to see the cold hardy rose diversity in the garden, especially considering the mild coastal climate. They have a small garden, but surprisingly diverse for its size. They also sell a surprisingly large selection of roses, again, highly diverse. If anyone happens to be north of Seattle, WA they might enjoy stopping by Christianson's Nursery either when their potted roses are in supply in spring or the rose garden is in bloom in early summer.

Duane

MidAtlas

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Yes, the fragrance can be quite pronounced in these hybrids--I'm most familiar with 'Fruhlingsduft', which has a mixture of that linseed oil odor and a sweeter fragrance that is obviously the reason for the name. I would not call its scent entirely pleasant, but then I'm a bit sensitive to the slightly odd (linseed oil/linoleum) scent that R. laxa and many of its hybrids have. Whether or not R. laxa itself was involved (other species may possess the same fragrance, and the dark, spin-like fruits on these hybrids suggest the involvement of something other than "true" R. laxa Retzius), true R. spinosissima (and its hybrids) never smell like that. The quality and quantity of scent probably varies in the others of the series.

Stefan
Last edited by MidAtlas on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hjortur

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:32 pm

'Nevada' could also be a possibility worth looking at.

MidAtlas

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 pm

I agree with hjortur--'Nevada' is an excellent suggestion. I haven't been able to keep young plants alive very long here due to its disease susceptibility in my climate, but I did get some flowers first. It has a wonderfully sweet perfume, far better than that of 'Fruhlingsduft', in case that helps with ID.

Krista_S

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi there,
That is almost certainly Nevada. They have a wonderful specimen of it at Christianson's in about the spot you took the photos (at the end of the rose garden farthest from the greenhouse). It used to be labeled but I guess it isn't anymore. If you like Nevada and want to check out the pink sport there is a Marguerite Hilling at the Antique Rose Farm in Snohomish (though there is no label on it -- or on just about anything out there).

mntlover

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:37 pm

Thanks for that! It was at the back end, in the left corner, in Christianson's nursery.
Wish I had known about the antique rose farm. If we cross over the mountains that way we will have to take a look.
Duane