i.d. this rugosa hybrid???

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

i.d. this rugosa hybrid???

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:32 pm

This rose bush was growing at a local nursery. They said it was planted a long time ago (not sure what that means exactly) and the name is lost.
Any ideas as to what variety this could be? What I found interesting is that the leaves were very rugose yet small (really small compared to many) and very shiny. The rose shrub reminded me of Therese Bugnet at a distance. The rose obviously has fewer petals, although the fragrance was similar. And, obviously, the leaves are entirely different. Reminds me of Hansa leaves in miniature.

I am asking because I grabbed a few hips (with permission) and put the seeds in the fridge. Fortunately I decided to look over my seeds as I found some germinated: three so far.

If anyone knows this variety, do you know if it will self pollinate or not? Rosa glauca was growing across the path from it. Of course there were a few potted roses a short distance away.

Thanks for any input!

Duane
Attachments
rugic1.JPG
rugpic2.JPG
rugpic3.JPG

roseseek

Re: i.d. this rugosa hybrid???

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Could it be Magnifica?
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

rikuhelin1

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi Duane

Not a rugosa versed gardener though have enough to choke a horse. Had supposedly Magnifca but lost track of it.

Some added useful info might be height estimate and are the canes lax or upright ... seen the white bloom streaks on couple of mine - don't remember which. Remember a probably incorrect statement streak a hang over from “china influence.

First would work to confirm or eliminate Explorers and Pavement (excellent series) series rugosa candidates if a nursery ... then the old pink rugosas (home grown and European). Doubt Jens Munk if bolt upright growth.

Old for me George Will, Will Alderman etc - l remember you grow Wasagaming and it not it to my eyes( color and bloom form)

rikuhelin1

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Sorry meant if bolt upright might be JM.

mntlover

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Growth looked much like Therese Bugnet, so I thought it was her at a distance, mostly upright, slightly spreading. I don't remember spice to the scent, seems like it was like Therese in fragrance also. Didn't notice mauve tones to the pink, at least not much. Although leaves look like on Magnifica. I can't tell size of leaves in picture.
I had noticed the white stripe. Martin Frobisher had that, as did seedlings from it. I couldn't remember if Therese did or not, but seedlings from her did, although I know it was neither of these. Hoping to get a good seedling to cross with those seedlings. Juvenile bloom would be a great bonus, as seedlings from each of these have had it.
Duane

rikuhelin1

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 pm

My Therese blooms are blown in slightly more than 2 days. And think your correct it does have the streaks.

david zlesak

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:50 am

This is just a guess, but 'David Thompson' from Svejda. It was popular "a long time ago" in relative terms (~20 years ago) and routinely sold for awhile with her other wonderful Explorer roses. I think it is more petite in terms of its leaf size than the other commonly sold double magenta rugosas.

mntlover

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:04 pm

David Thompson looks like it could be it. Color and leaves look correct. HMF says strong fragrance, I remember thinking it smelled like Therese but I thought it was a stronger fragrance. So maybe this is right.
Has anyone worked with it? There are no descendants listed on HMF. Any experience? It looked like an incredible rose bush, strong growing and healthy, if you don't mind larger.
Thanks for the input guys!
Duane

rugosa

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:37 am

David Thompson is sterile. Years ago I tried to hybridize it both ways with any success. It never set hips.

mntlover

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:26 pm

So, is that the experience of others? I remember some saying Hansa doesn't set hips, yet mine was always completely covered in hips. Environmental for Hansa, probably. What about David Thompson? Anyone see hips on yours anywhere? Or is this a different rose? It had a lot of hips on it.
Thanks for that information!
Duane

rikuhelin1

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Ah the joys and tribulations of iding found roses. Mid west gardening site offers it does not set hips, but also says its very red.

There is also still pink Frontenac and Jens Munk rugosa hybrid candidates from explorers - on my third Jens Munk - two passed on.

Photo below today of crisped leaves of JM above Ringo (Perisca hybrid). No hips.
Attachments
18993165-3D49-488B-BF44-B41BB410B4B3.jpeg

rikuhelin1

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm

I forgot Osbourne of Cornhill nursery, states on his site his Hansa variety sets hips ... Hansa case closed?

mntlover

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Wrong leaves, certainly not Frontenac, although that is a rose I should probably get.
Jens Munk looks really close, although no white stripe down the middle of each petal.
David Thompson definitely seems like closest match. Except for the hips. I'm wondering if warmer summers may permit hips, like with Hansa and Therese Bugnet.

Duane