Quiz

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Don

Quiz

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:28 am

One question, and I don't know the answer:

What thornless rose grows in the garden of Luther Burbank's former home in Santa Rosa, California and did he breed it? (ok, that's two questions.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burbank
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

pacificjade

Re: Quiz

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:22 am

It's implied he bred whatever it is, even though thornlessness existed before he was even born. Although we know that.

That part of wikipedia was lifted elsewhere, and, well, its wikipedia, which is essentially a meta-publisher masked with an encyclopedia template. It cannot be cited unless the subject is about wikipedia itself, even though people cite is non-academically all of the time.

In other words, there does not seem to be a way to verify such claims, except through old texts or someone old enough to remember such knowledge.

Like the news media likes to use: "A person close to the source's thinking believes..." lol 😜🤪🙃

I imagine it was a derivative of his china and/or multiflora work, since both possess the genetics for that to happen.

This is why I leave hypothetical lineage comments on HMF -- footnotes for future thought and an implication that I had already tried to assess them with multiple resources and medias.

It seems to be getting worse recently. Fewer and fewer rose businesses feel obliged to share anything more than marketing.

roseseek

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm

I have been there three times over the past fifty years. I don't remember any rose there being touted as having no prickles. There is a stand of the white blackberry, which I was able to purchase from them decades ago and spread around quite a bit for some years. There are a few of his named ramblers there as well as plantings of some of his other named plants. The latest visit, about seven years ago, we also went to the Farm to explore it.

Not to hijack your thread, but were you aware that both Joe Winchell and Ralph Moore applied for unpaid internships with Burbank? He rejected both, stating he felt neither "would ever amount to anything". When Ralph realized his education money would not be sufficient to finish his education, he spent it to purchase a set of Burbank's books. When Sequoia Nursery closed in 2007, seventy years after it opened, Carolyn Supinger showed us that set of Burbank encyclopedias, including the original cardboard box with Burbank's mailing label on it. Some years earlier, Ralph grafted one of Burbank's Apex Plumcot trees to a seedling for me. The fruit was "unusual" with little flesh, nearly a greenish, fuzzy peach type which could be used to make ice cream or eaten fresh, but was otherwise pretty unremarkable. I still have a self seedling of it.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Don

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm

>> Joe Winchell and Ralph Moore applied for unpaid internships with Burbank? He rejected both, stating he felt neither "would ever amount to anything".

Hmm. I'm thinking Ralph might have spun that yarn a little thin but I guess it's possible.

Ralph was born right at the beginning of 1907 while Joe was born in late 1910. Burbank died in early 1926 at age 77. The oldest Ralph could have been when he applied would have been 19 if he knocked on Burbank's door a few weeks before his heart attack. Even if Ralph was, say, 17 at the time then Burbank would still have been in his mid-70's. Of course, if Burbank was like Ralph he would easily have been able to consider an apprentice at that age but I'm thinking Ralph more than likely got a polite pat on the head and sent on his way. Joe would have been four years younger than Ralph so would have looked like a wide-eyed pup to Burbank.
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

rikuhelin1

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:07 pm

No idea, but do enjoy “rose and Ag history” hunt threads as much as 17th to19th century “sun never sets on” plant hunter histories ... never did find the volunteer rose reported near Thurman Lava tube or recognize the Lokelani “damask” rose.

rikuhelin1

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 pm

... and the Brit Thomas Fairchild story ... to keep it hybridizing real ... not sure if link works ( financial time blurb ) ... saw the 300 year old plus pressed plant and flower stems of the parents and off spring on an esoteric Brit garden history show series ... add to bucket list ... in some university think Cambridge or Oxford ... need to see them in real life ... sterile l believe.

https://amp.ft.com/content/64451cc4-07f ... 3b21361b43

[Note - the above link spawns a paywall but searching at google for Thomas Fairchild story hybrid turns up a link to the story sans paywall.]

rikuhelin1

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:33 pm

... oh and sorry for the hijacking