Zaiger work flow

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Don

Zaiger work flow

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLdH8d ... mb_rel_end

There are some pretty interesting moments in this video which shows the hybridizing operation at Zaiger Genetics. Floyd Zaiger passed away this summer at age 94. He wasn't much for small talk as this video shows but his legacy speaks volumes. A couple interesting points include about the 17 minute mark and the segment at the very end about 24 minutes.
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

philip_la

Re: Zaiger work flow

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:38 pm

I noticed that Leif Gartener was discussing how keeping the parent plants in a temperature and humidity controlled environment improved pollen tube germination. It had me wondering, what exactly are the ideal conditions for Rose pollen tube germination? Since moving to the dryer Central Texas climate, my take rate has dropped abysmally, and I have always assumed climate was one of the issues.

I wonder how many of those tools and techniques would crossover well into Rose hybridizing. I liked the modified Pinchers for emasculating flowers, and their collection of pollen was certainly a lot more efficient than anything I've ever mustered
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)

Don

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Yeah, I thought the comment about humidity was a key takeaway too.

Did you notice what Tracee Bettencourt said when asked about the pollen viability at the 24 minute mark?
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

pacificjade

Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Due to living in the PNW and next to temperate rainforest, I have always had to time everything between the rains, but also the immense cool humidity during the nights during the May-June pollination season. In fact, I have had to extend pollinations into July frequently to accommodate for el nino/la nina/el nada.

What I learned is pollination is best the day after rains, when done 2 hours after the last dew is off the petals. This has been the best balance between air humidity and ample time for pollen to set properly. It is also highly unlikely to have a heat or UV surge the day after such timing.

Now getting that reproduced in other areas is another story.

philip_la

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:27 pm

It makes sense that weather that doesn't desiccate the stigma would allow such to be more receptive over a longer period of time and might permit greater pollen tube germination.
Philip F.

roseseek

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:26 am

I use these for collecting pollen. They are MARVELOUS! It doesn't matter which hand you favor and you cut using only the one hand while you collect everything with the other. Don't cut anything thicker than stamen with them as you can easily spring them so they won't cut. You can sometimes find them as sewing and needle point tools. These are from a jewelry making parts supplier. You can sometimes find them in sewing stores ($20 and up!) and EVERY ONE OF THEM, no matter what the cost, is made in Pakistan. These are only $4.99 (less if you buy multiples) and there is a shorter length if your hands are smaller and you want that size. I've used scissors and these "squeezers" are the absolute easiest. https://www.riogrande.com/product/squee ... -75/119341
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:45 pm

You end up with some interesting links when googling
emasculator, but found this: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10. ... 9.10428033
What was used in the video looked more like a modified Spade tip tweezer, which it seems would be a lot easier to fabricate. Pom tongs might be easier still, as well as cheaper.

For collecting pollen, I've just been using cuticle trimmers. I can see, Kim, how those might be a little bit easier to handle. For some reason I can't help but think I'd probably injure myself with them though.
Philip F.