Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

A meeting place for rose breeders.
rikuhelin1

Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I making room this spring in a premium spot, and one rose that is leaving is my El Ariana (Geschwind). Grown it since 2008 (imported from Petrovic's nursery).

Not cane hardy enough for me in Zone 3-4 Canadian prairie for the spot, and no other real estate not spoken for. It always gives a few blooms on lower cane (previous years), and hips up. Trying to germinate some of last years seed as it is beside Suzanne, Isabelle Skinner, and Lillian Gibson - ends season with multiple canes 3 to 6 feet tall. Not seen evidence of "root stock" suckers - still in ground and can't come out until end of April to be sure.

Anybody in Canada, zone 5+ like to have the cropped root ball and canes ?
Riku

rikuhelin1

Re: Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm

No takers so dug out today and no visible suckers and lots of lower cane budding. DI only needed the right hardy genes to be a good looking “rambler” here. Really developed a strong candelabra cane system under ground as moved away, l assume, from being too close to sheltering wall. Potted three that started own roots from for sentimental reasons - fall decision time.

This year a Lillian Gibson, close neighbour to El Ariana - 3 feet along wall - whistled through winter (not always) with multiple canes up to 10-12 feet ... budding nearly full length - could turn out stunning. Might have to spray epoxy freeze plant in full bloom it to preserve the memory😂. Need hybridize a competitor to that growth performance but hardy.
Riku

rikuhelin1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:40 am

Why l like this, “crown hardy shrub landscape” Geschwind rose version in my zone 3-4a ... my other Geschwind struggle ... this one a fighter ... because the three potted own root split candelabra (3 to 4 inches of cane) have now put out from 2 to 5 new strong growth points per pot. Doubt feeding off reserve and imo not rootstock.

Two still available, but come with 3 to 5 lbs of earth - at least one staying as landscape shrub rose planting. This is a keeper and Still going to try and use for crossing.
Riku

macabreroses

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:36 pm

If only I was in Canada LOL

rikuhelin1

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm

The potted are no longer available - replanted all three within a shelter of Spinos - if they make
it cuttings can be arranged down the road 2-3 years. Too rare here to chance losing this known occurrence of this Geschwind by the risk of late planting if no takers by fall.
Riku

mntlover

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 am

Do you know if this rose is available anywhere in the U.S.? I can't find a source on HMF.
Is it possible to make it available to a source here that would be interested? Maybe High Country Roses?
I am having difficulty finding Geschwind's roses here.
I have Gypsy Boy. Found a source for Gilda: which may prove to be Orden.
Looking for the most cold hardy, so your words about this variety really caught my eye!
thanks!
Duane

rikuhelin1

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:14 pm

Only source l had in Canada seems to have done a Geschwind retreat for spring 2022. Palatine in Niagara Falls Canada. Export to States. But none on site offered (except Gypsy Boy but sold out). They never carried El Ariana, but a half dozen or so a few years back. Tried them all and the residual don’t bloom anymore in the easy south gardens. Only El Ariana’s shorter lower canes as per above and in that spot.

Ones l planted in the spino circle have been edged out by Scandinavian and Canadian heritage roses. Though the odd ball damask still survives, Kazinlnk (sp) and still waiting for a bloom.
Riku