Root squash ploidy technique

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

Root squash ploidy technique

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I am posting rather than PM'ing David thinking that other's also might benefit...

I believe that David had posted his technique, perhaps on the old forum, but I neglected to bookmark it, and cannot find it in a search. I wonder if someone could either recap, or post a link to the techniques for determining ploidy of a rose.

I'm specifically curious about my... er... yellow, climbing, semi-mini, apparently-wichurana-derived rose called 'Presto'.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.45521

As an aside, I wonder what folks would think of a rose-hybridizer's wiki associated with the RHA. It could serve as a good permanent repository for techniques and information beyond the few links at the RHA site. Using Wikimedia, it reads like it wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)

Peter Harris

Re: Root squash ploidy technique

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Philip,

David's article on the root tip squash method for counting ploidy appeared in the Spring 2004 issue of the RHA Newsletter, pp. 14-17, with pictures. If you have that issue or the compilation CD, you can read the full article.

Apparently the forum search utility is not working well right now. If you use Google and input this (root tip squash site:rosebreeders.org) as your search, you will find what you were looking for on the forum.

The current forum has all or nearly all the content of the old forum.

Peter
Peter
Charleston, West Virginia
USDA Hardiness zones 6A-8A, depending on the year

Bernhard

Re: Root squash ploidy technique

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 am

don't search anymore......

[Paper provided with permission from the author - Admin]

cheers

Bernhard