Lemon Fizz

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Lemon Fizz

Postby philip_la » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 am

I know I've heard of folks using this rose in the past. I obtained one from a clearance rack last summer, and though still in its nursery pot, the thing has been a real survivor, and ridiculously healthy without a spot of disease, even blooming in its fairly shady setting (necessary to prevent desiccation of a potted rose in my climate). Sets hips well too. What have folks' results from using this one been like? Is it perhaps an improvement over carefree sunshine in your breeding program?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Re: Lemon Fizz

Postby david zlesak » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Philip!

It has been a great performer up here in the North. I love the rich yellow that doesn't fade as fast as other yellows. It has been quite resistant to black spot, leaf spot, and powdery mildew in my area. It dies to the soil in zone 4 and eventually rebuilds nicely. It is triploid, but relatively fertile for a triploid. I suspect Carefree Sunshine would be much easier to generate more offspring from due to stronger fertility. I think LF is a great rose and worth the effort.
david zlesak

Postby philip_la » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 am

I don't have Carefree Sunshine, but love the saturation of Lemon Fizz. LF has set hips pretty freely with no effort on my part in my climate, though I have not attempted to germinate anything. David, have you worked with Kordes' "Sunny Sky" (KORaruli) yet? Lacks the saturation, but purportedly another good one for passing on disease resistance (per Pierre) and it has nice form. (Kordes' site gives it their highest resistance to BS.) I don't know how its cold-hardiness compares, but would imagine it might be favorably.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby jbergeson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 am

I've gotten some seedlings from Lemon Fizz. It passes on a strong yellow and some seedlings have good health. I think it doesn't quite have enough combined hardiness and vigor to be a common landscape rose up here in Zone 3, but I think it is worthwhile for crossing, especially taking David's observations into account.
jbergeson

Postby philip_la » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Well, I haven't found Lemon Fizz on the Kordes' site, where I tend to think the assessments are pretty self-critical and surprisingly objective, but I note that Newflora gives it the highest marks for *both* BS- and mildew-resistance.
http://newflora.com/product/lemon-fizz-kolorscape-rose/

I wonder if NewFlora's assessments are fair appraisals. That's a pretty stellar scoring even by Kordes' standards. In my short experience with it, I have admittedly not seen a lick of disease on the plant, even under some pretty stressful settings, which is shocking for a yellow of any stripe. And this puppy has saturation.
Philip F.
philip_la

Postby chuckp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 am

Hello Everyone,
I would love to try Lemon Fizz as a seed parent in my breeding programme. If anyone knows of a place in Canada that selling this rose please shoot me a PM.
Thank you.
Chuckp
chuckp

Postby philip_la » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 am

Chuck, click the NewFlora link in my post above, and follow tab on "where to buy". If there is a listed vendor in Canada that *doesn't* currently carry it, you can probably suggest they obtain it for you.
Philip F.
philip_la

Postby jbergeson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 am

I might have to get it again. For some reason my three plants in pots died in cold storage over winter last winter.
jbergeson

Postby chuckp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:46 am

For those who used Lemon Fizz, how is the seed set? What germination Percentage can be expected?
Chuckp
chuckp

Postby jbergeson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Chuck, I can't remember exactly, but my memory tells me it is not too productive as a seed parent. Maybe a little reluctant to set hips and not a high seed count. Nice big seeds, just a few per hip. Germination probably pretty good.
jbergeson

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum