New black spot article out today

A meeting place for rose breeders.
david zlesak

New black spot article out today

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited this article is finally out. With the pandemic and lab restrictions I'm glad we obtained the special permissions to follow through on the additional rounds of inoculations we had ongoing in March to confirm the reactions at the same point in time on the group of roses that make up the rose host differential.

Having a wide range of races of black spot helps tremendously for breeding and other applications. These races have helped us identify roses with unique resistance factors/genes to explore further, etc. So far we haven't tested any rose that at least one race hasn't infected, so that helps us know we have a pretty wide collection now.

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/ ... 902-20.xml

Rob Byrnes

Re: New black spot article out today

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Thank you for providing this information David!

Rob Byrnes
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

mntlover

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks for the information. Keep up the good work!
Duane

pacificjade

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm

It further illustrates than one should not cull a really nice seedling just because it is prone to one type of BS on a minimal level.

In the prior study, Sunsprite was listed as novel. Mine has retained all of its foliage since March, and has only now shown a few spots of BS on the very lowest layer of foliage. This is way beyond the typical range black spot shows up in NW Oregon (typically begins in mid-June). A purist may have tossed it as a seedling. I have an entire line of floris bred from Sunsprite where the combination bred even that out.