Polyantha alba plena sarmentosa

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Karl K

Polyantha alba plena sarmentosa

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:50 pm

I recall a discussion, long time back, about this old and important variety. I have a note on the subject from May 2003:

Guillot described one of his R. polyantha seedlings as having an extra row of petals, and added "sarmentosa" to the description. I think this indicates a different growth habit than R. polyantha.

I don't remember where I found this bit of information, so I'm asking for any help pinning it down.

And any help identifying this parent of rebloomers such as 'Cecile Brunner' and 'Perle d'Or' (among others) will be greatly appreciated.

I seriously doubt that Polyantha alba plena sarmentosa, with flowers opening yellow, is merely a double flowered mutation of Rosa multiflora. Besides, how could such a mutant also give reblooming offspring>?

Karl K

Re: Polyantha alba plena sarmentosa

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:29 pm

I found the article Guillot wrote about the parent of 'Paquerette' and some others. I don't know that this was also the parent of 'Cecile Brunner' and 'Perle d'Or', but it would be a more likely parent than a "pure" Japanese Rosa multiflora.

Also, Guillot, Rambaud and Mme veuve Ducher all lived in Lyon. Maybe the latter two made use of Guillot's seedling.
http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Roses/breeding/ ... e1878.html