hardiest reblooming diploid?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
rikuhelin1

Re: hardiest reblooming diploid?

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Txs Paul, definitely interested and the effort, whether it comes to fruition, or not, is appreciated in advance.

MidAtlas1

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Paul,

I'm a little disappointed--I had hoped that you would not make the debate personal. I'm not "fixated," I'm trying to lay out evidence to support my hypothesis, and debunking what I believe to be false claims with evidence and logic. I am supporting my points of view with specific characteristics whenever I can, as opposed to merely throwing out my own contrary views and asserting that I am right without providing any details whatsoever. I'll let others judge which one of us is approaching the argument in the correct way, but I had hoped that you might be willing to resolve this with facts.

There is no real debate that 'Maiden's Blush' and 'Banshee' are completely different roses of unrelated background. The "Loyalist Rose" as it has been traditionally known in Canada seems, in fact, to be considered by most rosarians to be a form of 'Banshee' as it is known in the United States and certainly by some in Canada. It is absolutely not 'Maiden's Blush', but the at least partially apocryphal history of the rose as documented by the Loyalists conflates the two by stating that their emblematic rose is, in fact, the Alba. It matters, then, whether they planted their garden in Vancouver with the "Loyalist Rose" that is really a form of 'Banshee', or with the Alba 'Maiden's Blush'.

If you can't see how figuring out more about the correct identity, history, genetics, and cytology of the 'Banshee' complex matters, then I am sorry. I clearly have been wrong to engage you. I also apologize to Joe, since this wasn't even meant to be a focus of the current conversation.

Stefan

jbergeson

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 am

Stefan, no need for you to apologize. Sending threads off on tangents is part of the fun around here. Thank you for your mature and thoughtful contributions.

MidAtlas

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 am

Thanks, Joe! That makes me feel a bit better. (I finally just had luck resetting my password after many failed previous attempts, so sorry to everyone for the odd messages coming from my alternate ID for months.)

Stefan

johannesp

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:20 pm

My hardiest rebloomers is a (Rosa woodsii ‘Native for me in Northern Alberta’) X Fru Dagmar Hastrop) X (mixed sibling pollen) after this extremely cold winter. These semi hardiest that others use really don’t hack it.

rikuhelin1

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Joe more out of curiosity, pitfall avoidance, and because l think you used it, how have your crosses done using Red Dawn x Suzanne ?

Mine is 5 years but is so cane hardy l got to get serious with it. What l find as off spring are not cane hardy in my garden.

Can’t find a ploidy ?

jbergeson

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Riku, I used RDXS a bit quite a few years ago but gave up because it didn't seem to pass on rebloom very often if at all, and the plant itself got some fairly ugly spotting. I had one odd reblooming seedling that came from (R. carolina x RDxS) x Commander Gillette, which is not a cross that should have produced rebloomers.

I would assume that RDxS would be a tetraploid.

I'd hate to see you avoid using it based solely on my testimony, however.

rikuhelin1

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the experience info and ploidy. I have only seen late season PM (believe Calgary low pressure) and leaf miner, this year, or something else - though surprised if latter rose dependent.