Yellow blend rugosa hybrid

A meeting place for rose breeders.
henry kuska

Re: Yellow blend rugosa hybrid

Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 pm

You may find this article useful if you are interested in further yellow rose breeding:
https://deepsouthdistrict.org/wp-conten ... ter-13.pdf

Rob Byrnes

Tue May 26, 2020 8:47 am

Thank you for the link Henry
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

Karl K

Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 am

henry kuska wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 pm
You may find this article useful if you are interested in further yellow rose breeding:
https://deepsouthdistrict.org/wp-conten ... ter-13.pdf
That is a lovely booklet. I may add that Prof. Allard (1900) raised a semi-double seedling from 'Harison's Yellow' that had the color and tone of Rosa foetida. I think this is very probably the 'Allard' used by Doorenbos.

Doorenbos reported that 'Ormiston Roy' produces some late summer blooms. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, I have pictures of 'Doorenbos Selection' flowering April through July. Maybe that's just what it does in the warmth of San Jose, CA. Anyone else have experience with this variety?

Rob Byrnes

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am

Larry Davis wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm
That fade is very interesting. I would have expected that the yellow would go and the pink would hold. That's what happens to almost every orange, apricot, gold flower that I breed. Does this stay green or drop its petals cleanly? If this one doesn't get a lot of B.S. or mildew, I'd love to try using it for something. Crossing it back with some of my others might produce an interesting effect. Just a couple days I go I was looking at a large single that fades with the same pattern but going white around the outside and holding a nice yellow halo. At the moment I can't recall where it came from but it was an odd cross I do recall. I'm doing more and more of those at the limits crosses.
Larry,

This one is nearly disease free in my garden. I've rooted a cutting for you which is about 8" now. Would fall be a better time to send it to you?

Rob

I also have a smaller rooted cutting available for anyone else. PM me if interested.
Rob Byrnes

Rob Byrnes

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 am

The second rooted cutting is spoken for.
Rob Byrnes