Extra seeds

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jbergeson

Extra seeds

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm

Anybody in the USA short on seeds to germinate?

My garden center business is nuts this year and I won’t have time to seed all of my seeds. I have some cool species crosses and various others with a lean towards cold hardiness.

Many are quite sprouted and would need some intensive care.

I can’t promise anything, because I’m so busy, but send me a pm with your address and hybridization interests and who knows, maybe you’ll get some cool seeds in the mail.

philip_la

Re: Extra seeds

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:20 pm

I'm glad to hear, under the circumstances, that your business is doing well, Joe. Do be careful though!

I had to swing by a Lowes recently to grab some supplies and was surprised (and honestly a tad appalled) at how much the garden center was hopping. (Zero regard for distancing, and the cashier was mobbed. An associate was standing in the middle of the entrance such that nobody could enter without coming within a few feet of him.) I understand folks needing an outlet though, and I guess the garden has become that outlet. But folks' personal choices might not much affect them while *seriously* infecting another.

If you have few to no takers, I would be interested, but we are already having temps flirting with 90, and I would worry about their welfare in transit. I would be particularly interested in some species hybrids, but would probably want to inquire about the specifics... I have no Carolina bloodlines, and the foliolosa I was so excited to receive appears to have excited the squirrels (??!) even more. (They razed it to the ground several times, and it appears it gave up the ghost. I did not realize squirrels -- the presumed culprit -- cared for roses... My Lowes foray was, in part, for hardware cloth to "cage" my seedlings.)
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)

roseseek

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Congratulations, Joe! Mazel tov! May that success be contagious and may the virus forget to look for ya'll up there!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

jbergeson

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:46 am

You know, Philip, exactly what you said about the garden center. I'm worried for my employees. People are so excited to get out of the house. Narrow aisles. I'm too busy to direct traffic and print signs. If someone gets sick I will forever question if I could have done more, but for now I'm forced to let things roll...with all of the spring investment we need to sell the plants. My employees are so loyal. Just answering the phone has become a full-time job, and keeping track of pickup orders is a nightmare. I guess I shouldn't complain about having business.

jbergeson

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 am

And thanks, Kim, for the good wishes!

roseseek

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 am

You're welcome, Joe. As for your employees, I totally understand your feelings. Hopefully, they are wearing masks at work, but whether or not they are, there are so many places they might pick up infection, it doesn't have to be at work.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:24 pm

Austin had an order that folks venturing out in public *must* wear masks. I was really impressed with how religiously folks in Travis County have been following that directive, and respectfully maintaining distancing. (Across the county line in Wm'son is a different world, however.) Effective this evening, however, our governor has put out plans to re-open Texas that will supersede our mayor's directives. (Wait for new spike in cases...)

I don't know if, in your neck of the woods, Joe, you could enforce a "no mask, no service" directive. It's actually much more effective for a carrier to be masked than the healthy, at-risk person near them. Hopefully folks would understand it to mean that *their* well-being is important to you, as well as that of yourself and yours. (Ah, for a bit more enlightened self-interest in this world of ours...)

It's a damnable catch-22 -- you need to stay afloat financially, of course, and revenue makes the world go 'round. Presumably your employees can make informed decisions for themselves too. Perhaps, if revenue permits, offer some risk-incentives for those loyally helping out? Or offer some aid to those over 60 who are more comfortable taking a leave? Second-guessing yourself after the fact will serve nothing. You aren't in this alone, of course -- your employees want the work too, I'm sure. Everybody has the ability to chose to do whatever they are comfortable with.

Sorry -- those comments were way outta my lane. I have no business offering ignorant thoughts, but know that I feel for you in your situation. You will do what's realistic to take care of yourself and those close to you. You can't control what you can't control, and you *are* doing what is best in the current view from where you stand, so don't worry, and don't allow yourself to forever second-guess yourself down the road. ("Ain't no future in the past.")
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)