Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

A meeting place for rose breeders.
rikuhelin1

Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I making room this spring in a premium spot, and one rose that is leaving is my El Ariana (Geschwind). Grown it since 2008 (imported from Petrovic's nursery).

Not cane hardy enough for me in Zone 3-4 Canadian prairie for the spot, and no other real estate not spoken for. It always gives a few blooms on lower cane (previous years), and hips up. Trying to germinate some of last years seed as it is beside Suzanne, Isabelle Skinner, and Lillian Gibson - ends season with multiple canes 3 to 6 feet tall. Not seen evidence of "root stock" suckers - still in ground and can't come out until end of April to be sure.

Anybody in Canada, zone 5+ like to have the cropped root ball and canes ?

rikuhelin1

Re: Free Rose El Ariana - Prefer not to "compost"

Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm

No takers so dug out today and no visible suckers and lots of lower cane budding. DI only needed the right hardy genes to be a good looking “rambler” here. Really developed a strong candelabra cane system under ground as moved away, l assume, from being too close to sheltering wall. Potted three that started own roots from for sentimental reasons - fall decision time.

This year a Lillian Gibson, close neighbour to El Ariana - 3 feet along wall - whistled through winter (not always) with multiple canes up to 10-12 feet ... budding nearly full length - could turn out stunning. Might have to spray epoxy freeze plant in full bloom it to preserve the memory😂. Need hybridize a competitor to that growth performance but hardy.