The cross that's worked best for me

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mnemko

The cross that's worked best for me

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm

This year, like last, my best cross is Oso Easy Italian Ice x mixed pollen (mainly elite red pot plants from Poulsen or Por La Mar and also Red Sunblaze as well as two of my best seedlings.) Of course, it's too early to say anything about the plants, but germination from this cross is around 35%, significantly higher than my other crosses. Given David's results re blackspot and given Sunsprite being a worthy garden rose apart from disease resistant, It's a known good female, so I'll try a plant of it.
Marty Nemko
mnemko@comcast.net
510-655-2777

Plazbo

Re: The cross that's worked best for me

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm

mnemko wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm
It's a known good female, so I'll try a plant of it.
I know a lot of it's seedlings are with it as a seed parent but it's been a case of big fleshy hips and few seed for me. Is that not the case with others? Not awful by any means, but a bit more work than with a lot of other seed parents to get a decent crop of seed. Haven't used it's pollen but will be running it through some of the more gross things that I have use for and no adequate alternatives.
Anyone able to send rosa californica (op) seeds to me in Australia?

mnemko

Re: The cross that's worked best for me

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:58 pm

It seems more than worth it to have a rose that:
a) sets some seed
b) holds promise for building in additional BS resistance
and most important
c) Is an excellent rose in its own right: perfect non-fading yellow, 25 broad-enough petals, glossy, mildew-resistant foliage on a compact plant. Yes, it's fast-opening but despite that has always had an ARS rating of 8.3 to 8.5 So, it has the potential to pass on a helluva lots of good attributes.

I searched online and to my delight found that the least expensive source is good 'ol Edmunds: $19.99 + a not-usurious shipping charge, I believe $8.95. And they always send true #1s.

Whaddya think?
Marty Nemko
mnemko@comcast.net
510-655-2777