germinations

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

germinations

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:27 pm

I was going through my bags of seeds to check the mold situation, when I was surprised with seeds germinating.

So far 32 seeds in the last few days
12 from a mixed bag of Rugosa seeds (Jens Munk, Frau Dagmar Hastrup, Will Alderman)
6 from Louis Jolliet - I was glad to see that not only does this one set hips, but they germinate well
2 from The Squire x Rambling Red
12 from a white (blush) Rugosa hybrid
[this was the one I had asked about the floating seeds. I was going to open some after Christmas to check them out, as Joe suggested,
but they beat me to the punch.]

Now the challenge to set them up right, as we will be gone ten days visiting family and I don't want these babies to die.
Wish they would have waited a few weeks at least, but how can you complain when your seeds are anxious to start growing?

Anyone else with seeds starting to pop yet?
Duane

jbergeson

Re: germinations

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Yeah, I had been leaving my seeds out at room temperature or a little colder on average. When I went through them several had sprouted...I'd say about 20 or 30. Luckily I have lights. I'm happy to have some little roses to watch during the winter.

I hope you can get yours to survive!

mntlover

Re: germinations

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Excited to have germination from Above and Beyond, although not very many seeds.
Also, glad to see germination from Zaide. (concerned about using newer Kordes, as lack of germination from other newer varieties).

Duane