Standard Roses

A meeting place for rose breeders.
chuckp

Standard Roses

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 am

Hi everyone,
One of the things I envy of rosarians that live in warmer climes is their ability to grow rose standards.
What would have to be done/created to standard material that can tolerate -35 to 40 deg. Celsius?
chuckp

jbergeson

Re: Standard Roses

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am

Hi Chuck,

Four characteristics must be combined: ultra-hardiness, thornlessness or near-thornlessness, non-suckering, and rootability from cuttings.

It would be kind of a relief to not have to worry about breeding for blackspot resistance or flower characteristics.

Wait a minute, though....what are you going to put on top? Any die-back rose would be essentially doomed up there sticking out of the snow. Morden Centennial, Canadian Shield, even John Davis...all would be doomed, in my opinion, despite their excellent hardiness, because they can die back to the snowline. Rugosas are the only reblooming roses that might have a chance.

But putting aside the issue of the top rose, I've looked at my Ross Rambler #4 as a possibility for a tree-type rose, because it is tip hardy (8-10 feet tall) and hasn't suckered into a bramble yet. Can still see the central "trunk". Very thorny, though.

Bailey Nurseries tried marketing Polar Joy as the first hardy tree-form rose. I'm pretty sure that was a flop. It was an incredibly boring rose. Interesting heritage, though. Frontenac x Belle Poitevine or something like that.

In any case, with the problem of finding a hardy reblooming rose for the top, we almost just have to find an incredibly hardy, low-thorn, reblooming rose that doesn't sucker and train it up into a tree form. So we're back to the same old elusive breeding goal for northern climates.

rikuhelin1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Saw some hardy puesdo rose single standards offered awhile back at Sunnyside for only one year, only glanced at them, but past then over as had “why would you” toppers ... remember one topper being Therese but rather have the thicket.

But IMO there still hope for roses if the pros can hybridize a pear tree that grows well in my yard, looks like a pear, feels like a pear, colored like pear ... tastes like - - - ( explicit deleted) only the squirrels can enjoy it and digest without boiling ... tree clean healthy and looks good in yard though... think its called “spicy pear”.

Some version of most probably “canina” ( from expert 3rd party opinion ) seems to be hardy in my back north garden yard after the grafted rose croaked - one 10 foot cane - few thorns - two minor canes.

rikuhelin1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm

... dug out label out, named Golden Spice Pear ... deemed edible ...

Giessen

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Chuck, some people in Russia successfully grow standards, as far as I know, in USDA 3 or even 2. The trick is to bend them to the ground for winter, and make a double cover above. From the beginning, a standard is planted aslope, and by the start of vegetation, in spring, it is brought — by applying a little force (and stepwise, I think, about 10-15 cm once a week) — in a vertical position and then bound to the vertical aid. The same way for the winter, a standard is bent more and more towards the ground until it lies there. Then it gets fixed by metallic pins and covered by some ‚breathable‘ agro-textil cover in two or even three layers. The cover is also fixed by pins to not be removed by wind. The snow layer protects the rose very well. I saw wonderful examples of standards grown in cold areas of Russia.