Root Intermingling for Synchronous Blooming

A meeting place for rose breeders.
RBaxter

Root Intermingling for Synchronous Blooming

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 pm

A dear friend of mine that I hold in high esteem recently told me that that by planting cultivars of slightly differing blooming periods close enough (very close) together that their roots intermingle, I could achieve simultaneous blooming. We were not discussing roses and he’s not a student of plant science.

I've read that scientists are just beginning to understand how plants communicate above and below ground, but given the complexity of ancestry that most of us work with I’m skeptical for roses.

Maybe within a Section - any thoughts?

RBx
Katy TX Zone 9A

roseseek

Re: Root Intermingling for Synchronous Blooming

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:45 pm

So, in your friend's mind, intermingling the roots of genetically dissimilar cultivars can synchronize their flowering? Wouldn't that be wonderful? I could plant all the gallicas which won't flower here among a bed of Iceberg....
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

rikuhelin1

Re: Root Intermingling for Synchronous Blooming

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 pm

I close pack my hardy roses - get more examples in that way - mostly spino, their derivatives, explorers, mordens, and rugosa and their derivatives - never noticed it - always complaining of the spotty bloom coverage over the gardens and too much green so started thinning