identifying parent

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

identifying parent

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Is there any way to guess the parent, or at least the direction (lineage) it came from?

I was at the florist picking up some flowers for my wife a handful of years ago and started talking to the lady about the rosehips being used in bouquets for decoration. She ended up being interested in the idea of growing roses from seeds and gave me several hips to take home.
Short story is I ended up with a dozen seedlings. I kept half of them to observe, out of curiosity.
Several of those looked healthy and would repeat bloom through the season, but never grew over a foot tall.
One formed a small bush (maybe two or two and a half feet). The others formed shrubs about 3 to 4 ft.
All of them died back to the ground in winter but grew back as before each summer.
They were all white. Ranged from 5 petals to 15 petals. No fragrance to medium sweet fragrance.

I was wondering if there is any way to guess, from variance in size, flower, leaves etc. what they would be descended from.

I ended up testing a few of them for breeding and half two seedlings from one. I'll post that seedling on another post.
Here is one of the 12 seedlings, the one I selected for looks. I'm just trying to get an idea of the genetics behind them. They were disease free
for me the four years I had them growing in the garden

Thanks for any thoughts!
Duane
Attachments
UN02b.jpg
UN02a.jpg

mntlover

Re: identifying parent

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm

I crossed this unknown rose with Lady of Shallot and got two seedlings I kept to observe. One has not flowered yet. Here is the first bloom from the other seedling.
There was a small amount of blackspot on them (as they were in pots sitting in the midst of dozens of babies with blackspot. Waiting to see how much of a problem this will be next season and whether I need to dump them or not.
Duane
Attachments
18UNx LOSb.jpg
18UNx LOSa.jpg