Strange hips

A meeting place for rose breeders.
macabreroses

Strange hips

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:40 pm

So I’ve never encountered this before but one of the ladies I do landscaping for gave me the hips on her rosebush I trimmed back and some of the hips are downright odd, some red, some not, which is fairly normal but then they get funky.

I don’t now the name of this rose but it’s hips are literally bursting at the seams with seeds. Is this healthy and are they viable? I even cut one of the seeds on the outside to verify if it was a seed (it is, and I am a murderer.)

mntlover

Re: Strange hips

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:54 pm

I have had this happen, especially with The Squire. Seeds can be viable and germinate, probably depends on the rose. I have several seedlings from seeds like that. I just harvested four different hips like that, hopefully they will be as successful as they have in the past.
Duane

Karl K

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 am

I have seen this, now and again. Here's an example from 'Café Olé"

Another oddity, a shoot growing apparently from an ovule of 'Marquise Boccella'.

mntlover

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm

I just finished removing seeds from four hips (same seed x pollen parent for all four), all of which were like the one you show. Sorry I didn't think of taking pictures. But then I came to the fifth hip: no seeds outside of it, although it was a very fat hip. I noted immediately that it was a different pollen parent. Wondering if this plays a part? I know I have had seeds like this from the same seed parent, but with other pollens, just not all of them. So wondering if it is in the seed parent, but only with certain pollen parents?

I float tested the seeds and had both from outside and inside sink. I am hoping I have the same results as before, good germination. I hope you have the same.

Karl, that is funky! I have never seen a shoot like that.
Duane

philip_la

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am

Exogenous seeds aren't uncommon. Proliferation isn't uncommon. But Karl's last photo is just plain weird.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]