All A'Twitter x Yatkan

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jbergeson

All A'Twitter x Yatkan

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:30 am

This is a stray late bloom on an interesting seedling that I've had in the field for a number of years and last fall dug up to keep in a pot to try to get it to set hips. All A'Twitter x Yatkan. Yatkan is a large, once-blooming rugosa. The parentage listed on HMF seems unlikely, as it is very hardy.

What interests me about this seedling is that it seems to have broken the rule that rugosa x modern crosses give deformed and/or short-lived blossoms. The blossoms on AATYAK seem to last several days, at least in the greenhouse, with good petal substance.

I also love the thick, leathery foliage of this seedling.

I was excited to see that the pollen of this rose seems fertile, so I have a few hips set from using it this year. We'll see. It would be fun to incorporate some rugosa toughness into modern roses without all the baggage that they usually bring along. If this is a triploid, it should give a high percentage of repeaters although it is not itself a repeater.
Attachments
IMG_9113.JPG

mntlover

Re: All A'Twitter x Yatkan

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

That is a beautiful rose! How cold Hardy was it before you ported it up? It would be great to have a cold Hardy red to use in breeding. Good luck with that one.

david mears

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Joe, if this gets into commerce I reckon it will be a winner, well done.
[color=#FFFF00]david mears
in Mudgee,
in NSW,
in Australia.[/color]

jbergeson

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Mtnlover, (sorry, forgot your real name), this seedling died back each winter but was able to push out just a few blossoms each season. Definitely hardier than All A'Twitter, but not cane hardy. It was bred quite a few years ago, and slowly built itself up into something. Now that I have potted it the plant is much larger and I will get more blossoms. I missed the first flush this year because I thought it was pollen-sterile. Later, once I realized, there were only about two blossoms at a time, which gave enough total pollen to pollinate four blossoms. I've never thought of it as red, for some reason, instead as a deep orangey-pink. But I see in the pic it looks red. The whole reason I potted it up was in hopes of inducing hip set, and whattya know there is a grand total of one hip.

David, this one doesn't bloom enough to get into commerce, unfortunately. It's first flush is sparse, and then just a handful of blossoms after that. I am grateful that it has fertile pollen, however, to give it a chance to move forward.

david mears

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks Joe, do you go forward with modern roses or back cross to old roses ?
[color=#FFFF00]david mears
in Mudgee,
in NSW,
in Australia.[/color]

Rob Byrnes

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:23 am

Really nice Joe. I love the color.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

jbergeson

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks, Rob! It's been a nice plant. Now in a pot so I have to try not to kill it.

David Mears, for now I'm thinking of crossing with moderns, trying to recover rebloom, and seeing what the results look like.