Odd little seedling

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jbergeson

Odd little seedling

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm

This little guy is half blossoms.

It’s mother is a red grocery store mini, and the pollen came from Cherry Frost. Unfortunately it seems sterile both ways and hasn’t built itself up much compared to its fellow second year seedlings. Would have been cool to see a mature plant like this smothered in blossoms. We will see if it can build itself up over the next few years.
Attachments
5741C1F4-5BF9-40C5-AFA2-3C118AE5C2F4.jpeg

roseseek

Re: Odd little seedling

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 pm

You need to get it into a more suitable environment/climate where it won't lose any growth to cold and can be allowed to just GROW.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

macabreroses

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Yes get that interesting seedling in a little less hostile environment to give it a better chance at developing! Lovely so far!

jbergeson

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 am

It's been looking like that for a very long time, when I compare to other roses of mine whose blossoms each last one or two days. I would assume that the grocery store mini was bred to have long-lasting blooms. I will dig it this fall and ship it off to somebody.

roseseek

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Joe, if you'd like to send it here, I'll happily push it, prevent it from flowering so it produces wood instead and share it whomever wishes it.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

macabreroses

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I’d be really interested in getting a cutting :0

philip_la

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:31 am

Cool, Joe. Never had one do anything but the very opposite!

Dumb question, but as I don't dabble in such... Would grafting that to an appropriate root stock change its demeanor?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

roseseek

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 am

"Dumb question, but as I don't dabble in such... Would grafting that to an appropriate root stock change its demeanor?"
Not dumb at all, Philip. It may, if the reason it does what it does is because it doesn't generate sufficient roots of its own. Adding more vigor to the roots may well alter what it does. Or, it could be it's just one of "those", which prefer to flower at the expense of growing and requires being continually disbudded until it generates a decent plant. Grey Pearl and my Annie Laurie McDowell are that kind. Left to their own devices, Grey Pearl will flower itself literally to death. Annie Laurie McDowell will sit as a small plant and flower, and flower and flower until it is usually yanked out because it didn't develop into the desired twenty foot climber.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

macabreroses

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Any updates on this plant? I think about it quite often LOL

mntlover

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 pm

You aren't the only one.
Also, Kim, thanks for mentioning the disbudding. I have a seedling that is really slow in filling out, but has been blooming too frequently this year. Maybe I'll try a bunch of disbudding and see what some time does for it.
DUane

Larry Davis

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Here's a thought that might pique Karl's interest. Dwarfing of apples, pears and the like depends on rootstock, or interstock grafting. Is there any evidence in he rose literature for such things? I only know the examples of minatures grafted onto standards where you get a small bush on top of a long thick stem. In that case there doesn't seem to be much effect on growth of the mini. It just stands higher in the air. I suppose it depends on where the dwarfing substance is made and acting. For apples the root definitely sends growth hormones to the foliage-producing parts. A dwarfing interstock can block the effect of a naturally big rootstock, on a naturally big scion, giving an intermediate sized, more dwarfed top.

We hear of different roots being preferred on different soil types or climates. But are there any that will serve to dwarf a big bush, or undwarf a little one?

jbergeson

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

I believe I labeled this little guy to be dug, with the intention of sending it to Kim for growth and propagation, as he mentioned above.

So it is probably in a pile of roses somewhere in my bare root building. Kim, would it be best to send it now or should I wait until March or April?

roseseek

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 am

Hi Joe, we're back down into our "normal"temps now of low to mid seventies during daylight and the forties at night. The weather should still be good in spring, but at least if we will receive rains, earlier would get some of them while later likely won't. Now it's cooler, I need to send Jonathan a species cross he wants. Thanks!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15