Agnes as parent?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

Agnes as parent?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 pm

I saw that Peter Harris managed a baby from pollen out of Agnes. Has anyone had success with Agnes as seed parent? I found a handful of hips on her and was wondering if anyone has had success germinating them, or if I would be wasting time. Thanks!
Also this made me wonder about heat and rugosa hybrids setting hips, which was mentioned before. Any more thoughts or findings on this?
Duane

Karl K

Re: Agnes as parent?

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 am

Duane,
I haven't seen 'Agnes' for nearly 40 years, though I remember it fondly. I have no experience with it. I just wanted to mention that the "float test" that is sometimes used to test seeds does not (I've read) apply to Rugosas.

I vote "Go for it", and good luck to you in your efforts.

Gismapper

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 am

mntlover wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 pm
Also this made me wonder about heat and rugosa hybrids setting hips, which was mentioned before. Any more thoughts or findings on this?
I don't have a lot of experience (in fact, i just started looking into hybridizing roses a few months ago), but i have two rugosas (Hansa and Alba), and they both set hips just fine a couple weeks ago (each other's pollen, and some pollen from Rubra) in the middle of oppressive heat/humidity.

I've had this Hansa bush for over 20 years. It has never set hips for me before (regardless of the time of year or the temperature). This is the first time I've deliberately tried to pollinate it, and it seems to have worked straight away. I'm eager to try it again in the spring.

Margit Schowalter

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm

For whatever it is worth, I've never found Agnes makes seed. And for the first time my plant of Hansa set a lot of op large hips this summer. Possibly because we had double the normal amount of rainfall this year?

mntlover

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll give these a go, along with some other rugosa seeds I found. I didn't get as many crosses as I woul like to this year, due to moving, so this may give some more seedlings next spring.

mntlover

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Update... Went to process hips and found all fluff in the hips from Agnes, it was like working with Austrian Copper all over again.
I did get seeds from Jen's Munk, Will Alderman and Frau Dagmar Harstrup. Processed these fine. Then got to a white (more blush) rugosa I had come acrossed. All seeds floated 100 percent.
Yes, I have read Rugosa seeds float. I have never worked with pure Rugosa, only hybrids. None of the previously mentioned did (floated), neither have Hansa, Therese Bugnet, Martin Frobisher, Blanc D De Corbet, or Rugelda.
I was wondering what you experience has been?
Do you think these seeds are bad? Or is Rugosa at work?
Thanks for your input!
Duane

Plazbo

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Ive had floaters from rugosa alba germinate....but never had 100% floaters so mileage may vary.

jbergeson

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:57 pm

You could open one up with a nail clipper to see if the embryo is white and firm. Adding a drop or two of dish soap to the water might also break the surface tension and allow them to sink.