Prairie Sweetheart «Sport»?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
aimbeault

Prairie Sweetheart «Sport»?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:07 pm

My Prairie Sweetheart is just finishing its first flowering, and already new grows show their buds. But on a new 5 feet stem that sprouts from the base of the plant, the flowers are different. They are double instead of very double and quartered (see photo). Can we say that it is a »sport» or maybe a «reversion»? What is a difference between these expressions?
Attachments
Prairie Sweetheart (Sport) 5096.JPG
DSC_5164.JPG
André
Est du Québec, Canada, zone 3b.

roseseek

Re: Prairie Sweetheart «Sport»?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:29 pm

A sport is when the original type changes its expression. A reversion is when a sport reverts to its sport parent. If this portion of the plant continues flowering like this, I would be inclined to call it a sport. Had Prairie Sweetheart arisen as a very double sport from this, your rose would be the reversion.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

aimbeault

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02 am

Thank you very much Kim for this clarification. I will follow up its development. As Prairie Sweetheart does not set fruits, I hope that the sport will be able to produce some. If not, at least its pollen will be more accessible.
André
André

roseseek

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 am

You're welcome, Andre. That could well be the case. Ralph Moore's Crested Sweetheart was so double, it didn't produce any stamen nor anthers nor did it set any fruit, until a fertile branch on one of the huge old plants at Sequoia Nursery mutated and began setting hips. Unfortunately nothing ever came from any of its seeds, but it at least showed it was possible.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Margit Schowalter

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:14 pm

You might want to try rooting a cutting from that cane. It would be neat if the new double flowers carried through to make a whole plant.

aimbeault

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Kim
Thank you Kim for this encouraging information. I cross my fingers for positive fertility and germination!?

Margit
I agree with you Margit that it should be a nice plant. I thought too to do something with this cane, probably some hardwood cuttings at the end of the season. If not, it will be next summer with softwood cuttings.
André
André