I'm new here, so I'd like to say hi!

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jakaufmann

Re: I'm new here, so I'd like to say hi!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 am

Hey, Chuck!

Those are all great questions. I'll go through them one at a time.
chuckp wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:40 am
What is the USDA climate zone?
I am in 7b which I believe is similar to Washington D.C. (but that may not be right).
chuckp wrote:
What kind of soil you are working with?
I'm not entirely sure what kind of soil we will have at our field, but at our home, our soil is essentially totally silty. Actually, I'm having problems with drainage and my plants getting nutrients. I can tell because many of them have chlorosis on the leaves and new growth. However, that's another topic. My father-in-law planted our garden, so I had no say in preparing the soil.

When it comes to soil for my breeding roses,I'm planning to start with them in large containers, so I can essentially create whatever soil I want. Once we plant them in the ground, I plan to use raised beds, so I should be able to also create a decent soil. Of course, I need to first do a soil test in our field, but like I said, I haven't been able to yet.
chuckp wrote:
What is the rainfall amounts, and in what season?
When it comes to rain, I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. I'll have to get back to you.
chuckp wrote:
and finally, do you plan on breeding roses for the cut flower market, or garden roses?
At this point, I'm planning to breed initially for garden roses, but there is a chance that I'll do florist roses in the future. It's not my plan for now, though.

Thanks for the questions!

Karl K

Re: I'm new here, so I'd like to say hi!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:22 am

Atlas of Woody Plants in China: Distribution and Climate, Volume 1, is a useful book (online) that gives the geographical distribution of Chinese plants. Genus Rosa begins on page 551.
https://books.google.com/books?id=rXTGy ... &q&f=false

There is a lot of coded information beneath each map that I have not figured out. It probably encodes the info from Chapter 3: Climatic Variables and Their Distribution in China. This begins on p. xxvi. There are other maps in that chapter showing comparable climatic regions around the world.

Loads of information in there that I have only begun to tap. The maps help me sort out statements botanists make about closely allied species that are not found in the same regions. That is, a tetraploid species may be derived in part from a diploid that is not found in the same region. But they may have shared a space in the past when the climate was different.

Karl