Jens Munk rose

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Margit Schowalter

Jens Munk rose

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Interesting historical column about the Jens Munk rose. Published in the Winnipeg Free Press. Thanks to Paul Olsen for pointing it out.

https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/win ... nd/id-6686

PaulGOlsen

Re: Jens Munk rose

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 pm

"Why has such a hardy rose as the Jens Munk almost disappeared from production? (Bob) Osborne says that an older plant variety may have stellar qualities that make it eminently suitable for today's garden, however, more recent introductions command the most attention each spring at nurseries and garden centres and soon there's less room for some of the older varieties."

It's not that simple.

I note in Canadian garden centres there is often lots of room, for example, for 'Therese Bugnet' and 'Snow Pavement' roses. Yet these Rugosa cultivars (technically, 'Therese Bugnet' is a Blanda cultivar) have much inferior quality to 'Jens Munk'.

The availability of 'Jens Munk' rose in Canada primarily depends on the willingness of wholesale nurseries to market it. Pan American Nursery, the largest rose wholesaler in Canada, for example, markets 'Martin Frobisher', 'Therese Bugnet' and 'David Thompson'. The first two cultivars are obsolete. The latter cultivar is very susceptible to chlorosis. Yet this nursery doesn't market the very best Rugosa ever developed, 'Jens Munk'. Why not? No one knows, perhaps not even the company.

A major factor why wholesale nurseries market certain rose cultivars on their own roots could be their ease of propagation. 'Martin Frobisher' and 'Therese Bugnet', for example, are easy to propagate on their own roots. 'Jens Munk', on the other hand , is quite prickly and therefore somewhat tedious to do in this respect.

By the way, I consider the author of this Winnipeg Free Press article, Colleen Zacharias, the best garden columnist in Canada. As can be seen in this one, she often incorporates an element of human interest in them, not just imparting knowledge how to grow and maintain plants, and therefore they are often very interesting and entertaining to read.
Paul G. Olsen
Rainy River, Ontario
Zone 3

johannes p

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:19 am

Hello you two, I love my Jens Munk. I would not live without it. This year I crossed it with Hazeldean two nice fat hips. I did the same cross last year but only got two seedlings so that is why I repeated it.
The plant has never had disease and the flowers tend to drop clean for the most part. The bush not leggy like other rugosas.
I have never propagated it so I can’t comment.

aimbeault

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 pm

I agree with you Johanne, Jens Munk is a really nice bush. Last year I have tried some crosses with different pollens on it: Golden Wings on 9 flowers but all fail; Le Cid (hybrid rugosa, Vigneron, 1909) on 6 flowers, but all fail; Prairie Peace on 5 flowers, 4 fruits, 115 seeds but no germination; Hazeldean on 3 flowers, 1 fruit, 27 seeds, but no germination and finally, J5 on 5 flowers, 5 fruits, 140 seeds and 7 germinations after first stratification but none of them survive because weakness seedlings. After the second cold stratification, 3 new J5 germinations and only one, that seem more vigorous, has been kept (see photo). It seems that Jens Munk is a little bit selective concerning its partners...!? I hope that these results could be useful and I which you better success with your crosses!
Attachments
DSC_5182.JPG
Jens x J5
André
Est du Québec, Canada, zone 3b.

johannes p

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:52 pm

I will take some photos; mine are planted out. There are but 2 but they seem quite happy.

johannes p

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:04 pm

I may be rude and I am not disrespecting your skills but did you loose your seeds because of damp? If I did not treat with No Damp I would loose everything- literally. And it is now off the market. Johannes

aimbeault

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am

Hi Johannes,
Firstly, you are not rude and I am sure your skills are as good as mine, if not more! Concerning your question, I would say around 40% because of damp and for the others, because of slow growing, weakness or malformations. Maybe I will try again some crosses on Jens next year, with same pollens, to see if I can have better results.
André
André
Est du Québec, Canada, zone 3b.