Helpful tip plant markers

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Rob Byrnes

Helpful tip plant markers

Tue May 28, 2019 1:02 pm

I've wanted to reuse labels/markers from season to season for as long as they last to keep them out of landfills. Something I 'discovered' last season was Durafoam Magic Erasers. I used a branded name but I'm not sure I can name it here. There are generic versions out there too. It easily erases both pencil and permanent marker. I used to use a pencil eraser to erase the pencil markings but that to a bit of effort and sometimes a black smudge was left behind. Permanent marker ended up being a one use thing. This season I'm erasing, reusing and recycling. I use it with a bit of water.

'
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

Larry Davis

Re: Helpful tip plant markers

Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

I found that on ordinary plant labels made of plastic, pencil will erase with mud. Peat moss and artificial potting mixes do not work but a silt clay loam with a little water is really effective. then rinse and write again. Usually brittleness of the plastic is the biggest problem. A little very fine sand in the mix works too.

rikuhelin1

Re: Helpful tip plant markers

Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Good tips always rifling around looking for gumbie or pencil sharpener - patience not strong suite so saliva and thumb has been known to have been used on occassions