Helpful tip plant markers

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Rob Byrnes

Helpful tip plant markers

Tue May 28, 2019 1:02 pm

I've wanted to reuse labels/markers from season to season for as long as they last to keep them out of landfills. Something I 'discovered' last season was Durafoam Magic Erasers. I used a branded name but I'm not sure I can name it here. There are generic versions out there too. It easily erases both pencil and permanent marker. I used to use a pencil eraser to erase the pencil markings but that to a bit of effort and sometimes a black smudge was left behind. Permanent marker ended up being a one use thing. This season I'm erasing, reusing and recycling. I use it with a bit of water.

'
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

Larry Davis

Re: Helpful tip plant markers

Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

I found that on ordinary plant labels made of plastic, pencil will erase with mud. Peat moss and artificial potting mixes do not work but a silt clay loam with a little water is really effective. then rinse and write again. Usually brittleness of the plastic is the biggest problem. A little very fine sand in the mix works too.

rikuhelin1

Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Good tips always rifling around looking for gumbie or pencil sharpener - patience not strong suite so saliva and thumb has been known to have been used on occassions

rikuhelin1

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Speaking of plant markers, and marking, never been happy with the performance of pencil, paint stick markers, engraving on copper, magic markers, lumber crayon etc for various reasons etc. ... finally rediscovered old tech from what my father use to use and l forgot about ... the old string and paper rolled wax pencil ... after 2 decades l found the old marker tech on Amazon ... curtosy of my son who found it this week as described it to ... cheap ...best fit yet for my pickiness and looks like what one nusery uses for informal marking on old blind slats ... calligraphy it does not support

philip_la

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 am

"the old string and paper rolled wax pencil" sounds like what I call a china marker. I thought it would be a great solution too, but found that the pigment in the ones I bought faded pretty quickly in the sunlight at our latitude, much to my surprise. Perhaps you have found a better brand?

*When* and if I can find a good label/tag that holds such well and weathers well, I have to agree with Larry. Graphite (a soft-leaded pencil) is, to date, my best tool for labeling as it doesn't fade, doesn't wash off with rain, but can be removed with a modicum of rubbing with mud, erasure, or soap. Pencil is also , for me, flat-out the easiest to write with.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

rikuhelin1

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Let you know - noticed one metal marker in the garden for 4 years still is quite legible. Its the Sharpie China marker. Think 12$ discounted Canadian for dozen. I use pencil as go to when l can find an HB or softer and pencil sharpener for writing on the white plastic labels. Tried carpenter pencils also. Switching to metal labels with high gloss white finish that can take winter better than plastic. Pencil doesnt write well on finish.