R. davidii

A meeting place for rose breeders.
MidAtlas

Re: R. davidii

Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 pm

I noticed that some of the R. davurica photos on HMF appear to be misidentified, and others are at least questionable--those with obvious R. rugosa characteristics might just be R. x kamtschatica. The straight species as I know it (I'm familiar with one directly wild-collected clone) is upright and fairly thin-caned, too. The Forestfarm plants' images bear a much greater resemblance to that plant than most of the HMF images seem to.

Stefan

jbergeson

Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am

And I just noticed the similarity in the names...someone could have scribbled "R DAV" on a tag.

Karl K

Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am

tsilvers wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:35 am
found another old picture of the rose purchased as davidii from ForestFarm
Slide4.JPG
whatever it is, I've been enjoying working with it! :)
Tom,
I won't try to identify a species from a couple of pictures, but your "davidii" sure looks like the Rosa palustris plena I photographed at the San Jose Heritage.
And more pics:
http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Roses/Rose_Pict ... plena.html
Karl

tsilvers

Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi Karl,
I just planted palustris scandens. Is this the same as plena???
Whatever the case, the ForestFarm "davidii" is VERY different from scandens and both other collected palustris that I grow (one from very close to home and the other from about 4 hours east). It's also very different from all of the North American tetraploids I've grown.
You're so right, that it's very tough to ID from pictures. But in spite of the difficulty, I'll still try to get some better pictures to add to this puzzle. ;)
Thanks, Tom

Karl K

Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

tsilvers wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Hi Karl,
I just planted palustris scandens. Is this the same as plena???
Tom,
I just looked up scandens on HMF. It does look like plena, but I won't express an opinion without seeing them together.

The San Jose Heritage garden is not even vaguely swamp-like. It is hot in the summer. The plants are irrigated, but palustris plena got no more water than other roses, so far as I could tell.
Karl