Some current pictures...

A meeting place for rose breeders.
tsilvers

Some current pictures...

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 am

Finally getting a chance to start Spring cleaning out in the yard so thought I'd post a few picture...

A few years ago, I bought a plant of setigera from Prairie Nursery in Wisconsin. Apparently it's a female because it had loads of hips last year.
I don't have any male setigera anywhere around here (that I know of) so I'm really wondering who is the pollen parent of these seedlings.
Setigera blooms very late, so possibilities in bloom at the same time would be some repeat blooming modern cultivars, palustris and/or maybe a few of the later Asian Synstylae like multiflora or some wichuraiana hybrids I have.
setigera OP.JPG
Anxiously awaiting bloom on this hybrid but so far I'm not seeing any buds. It'll typically develop quite a bit of blackspot later in the season, but for now it's looking pretty.
LS x RD.JPG
Liking the purpleness of this seedling. It'll surely be a once-bloomer but it's got a nice blending of North American species and modern repeat
blooming roses in its pedigree. [palustris, virginiana, carolina along with 'Winners Circle' and 'Fragrant Cloud']
PxWC X TQN.JPG

jbergeson

Re: Some current pictures...

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 am

Thanks for the pics, Tom!

aimbeault

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am

Tom, certainly the flowers will have a nice background with this purplish foliage, I like it very much!
André
Est du Québec, Canada, zone 3b.

tsilvers

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks Joe and Andre.
The mother of that purplish one has great Spring and Fall color but does turn green during the heat of summer (during bloom).
Here's how dark mama gets in the Fall:
Slide10.JPG
I hope I'll eventually get one that stays this color all season!

philip_la

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Cool stuff, Tom1

Speaking only from 2nd hand anecdotal experiences, I would suspect late blooming Asian Synstylae as the parent for that first one, though as I mentioned in another thread, I do have some setigera x mutabilis seedlings.

Does Lemon Splash have a propensity to BS for you? I would imagine the other parent is quite resistant, though the mechanisms behind the resistance of the two grandparents might be different enough that each only serve to dilute the defenses of the another.

And I LOVE the purple foliage and stems! I'm surprised to see palustris bring that out from winner's circle, but assume it was just a really cool roll of the dice, and perhaps any number of random parents could have conspired to do so.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

tsilvers

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks Philip!
I'll keep updating with pictures as the setigera OP seedlings develop more.

And most definitely yes, 'Lemon Splash' blackspots terribly here, so I wasn't too surprised to see the seedling do similar. I had hoped it would take after the pollen parent more in health. That species cross is one of the cleanest roses I've grown.

Actually 'Winners Circle' itself develops very nice purple Fall foliage color. That's one of it's nice features. This particular palustris seedling lets that feature come through in full force. There were a few siblings and these weren't quite as vigorous and didn't have the nice Fall color. An analogous cross of palustris with 'Home Run' also gave a mix of foliage colors. One of them has quite a bit of purple currently, so maybe you're right that it's a roll of the dice.

philip_la

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Tom, if you are wanting a really healthy modern yellow shrub, you could do worse than to try Lemon Fizz or Sunny Sky from Kordes. I haven't yet worked with Carefree Sunshine, but she gets relatively little BS in my climate. And Limoncello is a blooming machine. Stephen Hoy has gotten seedlings off of Limoncello, though I know nothing of those seedlings performance. (I haven't seen any O.P. hips on either of the latter.)

Is the palustris baby's purple more persistent than that of Winner's Circle? THat seedling really is stunning in that last photo. You have me wondering about Winner's circle...
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

tsilvers

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks for the yellow parent suggestion Philip!!! Funny, but the only one of those I've worked with IS 'Carefree Sunshine'. I've been using 'Cal Poly' and 'Rise N Shine' in recent years because of their notoriety for being very receptive seed parents. I've gotten several seedlings from 'Cal Poly' using that same F1 rugosa x davidii and so far they seem to be better for health than the 'Lemon Splash' baby. I tried a boatload of pollinations on 'Carefree Sunshine' using that same pollen and got nothing but selfed seedlings.

If you have any interest in purple foliage traits I'd definitely suggest you get 'Winners Circle' to work with.
The palustris X 'Winners Circle' I'd say doesn't hold it's purple any better than 'Winners Circle' itself. The Spring and Fall coloration is almost matching for these two. Here's a picture of the flower and green summer foliage of the seedling.
Slide9.JPG
The new seedling from "3/4 Native" pollen on (palustris X 'Winners Circle') definitely has more Spring purpleness than it's mother or 'Winners Circle'. This is its first season outdoors, so I'll let you know how the foliage color holds going into the summer.