Flowering, Drought and Disease Tolerance, and Landscape Performance of Landscape Roses Grown under Low-input Conditions

A meeting place for rose breeders.
henry kuska

Flowering, Drought and Disease Tolerance, and Landscape Performance of Landscape Roses Grown under Low-input Conditions

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 am

Title: "Flowering, Drought and Disease Tolerance, and Landscape Performance of Landscape Roses Grown under Low-input Conditions in North Central Texas"

See:

https://journals.ashs.org/horttech/view ... 215-18.xml

philip_la

Re: Flowering, Drought and Disease Tolerance, and Landscape Performance of Landscape Roses Grown under Low-input Conditi

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:29 am

THanks, Henry. Very interesting.
It's good to see some of the not-so-common cultivars in these parts tested, but I'm a little surprised by the lack of some which I would have thought to be the truly tried and true, by Texas standards. Katy Road Pink, the listed parent of Katy Girl, is in fact a study name given to Carefree Beauty -- grandparent to K.O.. Carefree Beauty became beloved in the deep south under its study name, hence Ray's usage of it as a parent plant. For my part, I'm not sure but what Carefree Sunshine is a better plant than Radler's later seedling "Sunny K.O." but isn't listed, and an old standby -- promoted when I first started growing roses as bullet-proof -- was the rose under the study name "Caldwell Pink" (i.d.ed as pink pet?) named after the Tx town Caldwell. It's a cultivar which, along with Carefree Beauty has earned the Earth Kind denomination. It's a rose that, in all the years I've grown it, has never shown a lick of disease (though it is maddeningly sterile). (Or was the point *not* to test the existing earth kind roses, save the two used as standards by which to measure the others?)

I also note that none of the Kordes roses introduced after 2000 (of which most have very admirable health) made the trial.

Having said that, it's not fair of me to quibble over omissions when one has so many thousands to choose from! It's Interesting to see so many from Minnesota trialed.

I've never grown it, but seeing Alister Stella Gray so high on the list comes as a surprise to me. (It's not pink!) I always assumed the older yellow(ish) roses had an inherent proclivity to disease. Clearly I played with the wrong ones early on in my growing of roses...

Thanks again for sharing. No doubt that was a massive undertaking by the researchers!
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

david zlesak

Re: Flowering, Drought and Disease Tolerance, and Landscape Performance of Landscape Roses Grown under Low-input Conditi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Thank you Henry and Philip! It was a huge undertaking and took a lot of collaboration, volunteers, etc. to make it possible. To respond to some of the points you mentioned Philip, yes the goal was to especially trial roses that haven't been tested in the Earth-Kind manner before and only use a couple previous Earth-Kind roses for reference to save spots for other roses. We do have many Kordes roses that have gone through the Earth-Kind trials. There were Kordes shrub roses at multiple sites in the North as well as a couple in the South and hopefully this summer I'll be able to carve out the time to work on pulling that together and write it up. There is a more recent trial finishing up with primarily Kordes hybrid teas and floribundas that has been highlighted a little bit that is happening in Houston and Green Bay, WI in the ARS magazine. That will hopefully come together by those taking the lead for that one for the writing relatively soon too. It takes a lot of time and effort to write up these articles, but it is valuable for us to do so as soon as we can so others can benefit.