Suitability question

A meeting place for rose breeders.
emperorofmorocco

Suitability question

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi there,

I have never crossed roses before but this spring I am planning to try it. At the moment (I'm in England and it's still quite cold) the two roses that look as if they are going to produce good early blooms are Souvenir de Malmaison and Emperor of Morocco (emperor d 'maroc). Does anyone know if they are suitable to be crossed?

Thanks,

Nick

Karl K

Re: Suitability question

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm

emperorofmorocco wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Hi there,

I have never crossed roses before but this spring I am planning to try it. At the moment (I'm in England and it's still quite cold) the two roses that look as if they are going to produce good early blooms are Souvenir de Malmaison and Emperor of Morocco (emperor d 'maroc). Does anyone know if they are suitable to be crossed?

Thanks,
Nick
Nick,
'Souvenir de Malmaison' is a beautiful triploid that rarely produces hips and seeds.
Karl

emperorofmorocco

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Karl, thanks for that. These are the roses I have. Any ideas if any are worth crossing:

Paul Smith (climber)
Gertrude Jekyll
Charles Mallerin
Papa Meilland
Blue Moon
Fellowship
Peace
Marshal Niel
James Galway
Teasing Georgia
Princess Magarita
Belle Lyonaise
Poets Wife
Mme Pierre Oger

Thanks,

Nick

donald_vancouver

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi-
If your Fellowship is Harkness' HARwelcome, it has produced some very good offspring. Do you have access to helpmefind.com? You can check the descendants of most roses.
http://www.donenright.com

Cool, wet Zone 8

Karl K

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am

I would find it hard to resist crossing 'Empereur du Maroc' with 'Charles Mallerin' and 'Papa Meilland'. Love the deep, deep crimson and heavy perfume.

semiplenus

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Souvenir de la Malmaison has been a successful pollen parent to some nice offspring. Gertrude Jekyll was not a successful parent for David Austin, its creator, so I imagine it probably would not be for others. The others of his creation are a bit too new to know how they would be as parents.
SoCal 10b Sunset 23

roseseek

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi Nick, are you familiar with the web site, Help Me Find-Roses? http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php If you purchase a Premium Membership for $24 a year, you can access the database and research all the known breeding for all of the roses you asked about. You can trace them backward and forward and often see living color photographs of the results, contributed from all over the world.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence