can you identify this rose? Species??

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

can you identify this rose? Species??

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:40 pm

At the corner of the new property is this rose bush. This must be a young bush, as down the street there is another that looks the same but throws out canes up to ten feet high. It appears thornless at first, but then maybe a third of the canes have some thorns. I will attach photos of bush, canes, thorns and hip. Any help in I.D.? It looks to be throwing up suckers a few feet away. I was wondering if this was a species rose of some kind. (THere is a different one on the other corner I am pretty sure is, but didn't know what to think about this one.
Duane
Attachments
mystery 1b.JPG
mystery 1a.JPG

Johannes

Re: can you identify this rose? Species??

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Rosa multiflora sucker -a rootstock. A lovely rose with white fragrant white flowers. An invasive weed. I like it.

mntlover

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:43 pm

white and fragrant both sound positive. Inavasive weed not so much! Any benefit in using this in breeding?
Duane

Johannes

Wed May 01, 2019 1:59 am

From floribundas to the best climbers this rose is used a lot. Even I use it bred Ames 5

roseseek

Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 am

Duane, multiflora is beneficial for areas with acidic water and soil. It isn't nearly as successful in arid alkalinity and it is highly susceptible to crown gall in the desert south west. For cold hardiness, it likely has benefits, but as with everything, you have to weigh the good against the bad.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence