Basye's Purple (F2) with thornless and black stems.

A meeting place for rose breeders.
aimbeault

Basye's Purple (F2) with thornless and black stems.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:32 pm

This is my first (lucky) purple rose that has flowered in 2017 with bonus, thornless and black stems. This is in fact, a seedling of (Basye’s Purple OP). I intend to use it this summer and I would like to know what I can expect if I cross it with itself? Is it a good thing to do for increase characteristics as petals number, without lose the others traits? Any advises will be appreciated, thank you for your help!
André
Attachments
Fleur 2375.JPG
Flower
Tiges 2411.JPG
Thornless stem
Tiges 3206.JPG
Black stems
André
Est du Québec, Canada, zone 3b.

jbergeson

Re: Basye's Purple (F2) with thornless and black stems.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:30 am

Congrats, André!

I don't know anything about Basye's Purple...does it repeat?

Therese Bugnet comes to mind as a crossing partner for this one...red stems, similar leaf.

david zlesak

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:40 am

Dear André,

Your seedling is absolutely gorgeous!!! I remember 'Basye's Purple' seeming almost sterile, so it is wonderful you have this seedling and hopefully it has improved fertility to more readily move forward. I love Joe's suggestion of'Therese Bugnet' too. It would tempting to cross it with everything possible to see what happens. :0)

jbergeson

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am

André, is the the same OP seedling that is up on HMF?

aimbeault

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Thank you Joe and David for yours comments!

Joe, it is a good idea using Thérèse Bugnet, I will certainly try some crosses. Basye’s Purple blooms all the season, but I don’t know if my seedling does the same? Firstly, because his first flowering was at the end of 2017 season and secondly because two bad things have happened last year for it: a new site and many dry periods during last summer. Therefore, the flowering has been very affected in 2018. I will see this summer if it has a good potential to flower for long time. (Concerning your second question, it is not the same 10TT seedling on HMF.)

David, I have tried many times to cross Basye’s Purple with different pollens without success. It is the raison why I have begun to sow opened seeds to see what could happen. I have another seedling (10TT) from Basye’s Purple OP obtained in 2010 that is among one of my best result to date. It is a four feet plant, with lustrous leaves totally diseases free and who blooms all season, (http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.80973.4). Like Basye’s Purple, it seems to be very selective in the choice of pollens. But last year I have had (for the first time) access to Golden Wings pollen. I have used it on many flowers and for sure I also have tried it on my 10TT seedling for to see if this pollen could be accepted. And surprise, good match! Three flowers have been pollinated, three fruits harvested, 86 seeds have been stratified and finally, 5 germinations since two weeks, I hope they will survive?!. As you say, I will experiment many crosses with it to see what happens.

André
Attachments
Basye's Purple 10TT 1833.JPG
10TT Basye's Purple OP
Basye's Purple 10TT 0218.JPG
10TT Basye's Purple OP
10TT x Golden Wings 4415.JPG
10TT x Golden Wings
André

Karl K

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Those innocent looking seedlings sure have a complicated ancestry behind them: rugosa, foliolosa, altaica, spinosissima, foetida, odorata, chinensis gallica ...
I'm looking forward to watching them grow up.

philip_la

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:25 am

Wonderful coloring on that one, André.

I have no personal experience with any of these roses, living in a hotter climate, but my mind went to crossing perhaps with Ann Endt, to reinforce some of the genetics while avoiding inbreeding(? -- Such an idea might lack the advantages of selfing, but I don't know), or even going a little further afield, and perhaps considering bringing Carmenetta into the mix.

Alas, with the latter, you would surely have a wait before being able to take it any further, were you to get an interesting outcome. I don't know if Carmenetta herself breaks from the Canninae meisosis either. But it does seem that either of those might conceivably reinfoce *some* of the desirable traits.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

tsilvers

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Nice job André!!! :)
The thornless black stem seedling and 10TT, are both very attractive roses.
Looking forward to seeing what you get from that 10TT X Golden Wings cross.
Best wishes always, Tom

Rob Byrnes

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 am

It's a beauty André. Love the color and the fact that you picked up petal count. Thornless and black stems is a bonus! My first thought was to cross it with Ann Endt.

http://helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.17637
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

aimbeault

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Thank you: Karl, Tom, Philip and Rob

Karl, for this list to remind me that everything can happen. We will see who will have more influence...!

Tom, for your comment. I cross my fingers and continue to dream for a hint of yellow from R. foetida...!?

Philip and Rob, for your suggestions! Sadly, I don’t have Ann Endt, and as you say Philip with Carmenetta, it is a little bit complicated. But I could try some crosses with the latter possibly, or with one of my seedling of it.
André

philip_la

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Well, if you could get a hint of fedtschenkoana foliage on it and maintain *some* of its other attributes, I think that could be pretty stunning as well. I've always wanted to see a mauve flower hung on R.f. foliage.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Rob Byrnes

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm

I would second that Philip!
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

aimbeault

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm

I agree with you that it should be a stunning effect. It is a great idea and yes, I have R. fedtschenkoana! In thinking of grey foliage, I have been reminding me, Joe’s suggestion in using Thérèse Bugnet for its red thornless stems. It is a happy coincidence because I already have three (Thérèse Bugnet x R. fedtschenkoana) seedlings from a cross made in 2016, and two of them have greyish foliage. On the photo, the right one has few thorns and it has produced a tiny flower last year. The second at the center, as we can see, has inherited a red and thorniest grows from R. fedtschenkoana. I am waiting for blooms and better results from them this summer. I don’t know what will happen if I can cross them, but I am waiting for positive results! I hope I will be able to use these seedlings if they bloom this summer. Thank you all for those suggestions it is really appreciated!
André
Attachments
#1 Thérèse Bugnet x Rosa fedtschenkoana 162B-1-2-3 4057.JPG
3 seedlings (Thérèse Bugnet x R. fedtschenkoana)
#2 Thérèse Bugnet x Rosa fedtschenkoana 162B-1 3630.JPG
Seedling #1 Right
#3 Thérèse Bugnet x Rosa fedtschenkoana 162B-2 4061.JPG
Seedling #2 Center
André

philip_la

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Suggestions come cheap. The realizations are where it's really at. ;-)

I believe R. fedtshenkoana is tetraploid, and Basye's purple is diploid, FWIW.

Good luck!
Philip F.

aimbeault

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 am

Thank you Philip and good luck also with yours seedlings!
André