cherry frost & lemon drift

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Larry Davis

cherry frost & lemon drift

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 pm

On the same page with Pretty Polly series, which look like great roses, there is a bright red by Julie Overom. Has anyone up north (WI, MN etc) seen Cherry Frost in action during its limited distribution last year? Or during earlier testing phase? Seems like it is a much bigger bush than the Polly series, if not frozen down. Could be a source of real scarlet or crimson if fertile.

Also in the Star catalog, Lemon Drift is mentioned but says distribution will be limited to the west, whatever that means. Is that an issue with BS or cercospora or something like that? Seems to me it might offer another approach to yellow shrubs. I was very disappointed with Popcorn Drift which fades to dreary white along our hot highway and parking lot scene on campus. Doesn't drop those burned petals until too late. It sports back to Apricot Drift moderately readily, maybe 3 of 30 plants grow a branch of Apricot. But Apricot is quite infertile as a mother, and short of pollen for tests the other direction.

Rob Byrnes

Re: cherry frost & lemon drift

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 am

Larry,

I think Joe Bergeson has some experience with Cherry Frost. Also, I've had some success using Apricot Drift as a seed parent with Thrive as the pollen parent. AD also sets some OP hips here as well.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

david zlesak

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Larry,

Julie's rose is amazing. It is very hardy for us with minimal tip dieback in Minneapolis at Lyndale Park Rose Garden over the years. It is triploid, but does set a limited number of op hips. It gets 5-6' in our area with a generally upright and slightly spreading form. The flowers are abundant and each is a couple inches or slightly more wide. The color is a great red that holds throughout the life of the petals. It is very healthy here too with minimal cercospora compared to other nearby growing varieties.

Rob Byrnes

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 am

Great information David! I think Joe Bergeson has used Cherry Frost as a pollen parent as well with some success. I read someplace yesterday that the parentage will be released once the patent is approved and I''m very interested to see what Julie used as parents. I look forward to receiving my plant of CF this spring.
Rob Byrnes

jbergeson

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:02 pm

I've had Cherry Frost growing here (Zone 3b) for a number of years. It gets about 3-4' and did get a bit of cercospora in a tough location but definitely has the wow factor with masses of medium red blossoms. It dies back to about a foot tall on average.

(Thanks, David, for the update about it growing in Minneapolis.)

It does set seed, but not more than one or two per hip and is easier to use as a pollen parent.

Attached is a photo of Seedling #1027, which is Prairie Joy x Cherry Frost.
Attachments
1027.jpg
Prairie Joy x Cherry Frost

joverom@cheqnet.net

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:03 am

Cherry Frost tends to die back to the snowline here (Northern WI Z3B) or even the crown in a very tough winter, although the -30F we have had this winter brings CF into new and uncharted territory--keep your fingers crossed as our snow cover was pretty limited at the time of the first arctic cold snap here (it lasted almost a week). More severe cold followed with a bit better snow cover and they are saying this is the worst winter we have had in this area in 25 years with respect to cold. No offense to my Canadian neighbors but I have come to hate the term "Alberta Clipper" when talking about winter weather patterns! In general, my CF's winter survival and growth/size experience is similar to Joe's except my plant gets to the 5-6 foot range in the summer. It has tremendous vigor and springs back readily from winter damage so the amount of die-back is really not an issue--it recovers and blooms right on time with everyone else. With less die-back there would probably be more lateral growth produced and even more blooms. During a milder, gray winter it will be tip hardy but I still cut it back to about 3 feet every year and I thin it quite a bit. It has never suckered in the 11 years it has been in the ground--it just sends out lots of new growth each year. I am still a bit hesitant to give out the exact parentage at this time--I know the patent has been applied for but I have not heard if it has yet been approved. However, I can tell you that the mother was a seedling of mine that involved the use of Prairie Lass, Gizmo, and William Booth in its ultimate creation. The father was L83. I stopped using L83 many years ago because of its tendency to pass on leafspot--a true problem in my area. As I have said before, I can count on two hands the number of plants that do not get LS here after many years of testing commercial varieties. So it is hard for me to judge CF with respect to LS--some years it is fine and other years I do have some defoliation. I have never seen BS on it. The blooms are ~2.5 inches and a clear and non-fading red (not really blue red but not orange-red, either). They hold up well--pretty much 5-7 days (very good substance). The petals fall cleanly. As David said, CF will form some hips with 1-2 seeds but it is essential female sterile with respect to crosses. The pollen, on the other hand, is very useful. CF is a very good bloomer and I have counted a cluster of over 40 blooms at the end of one cane. It repeats well and it is probably the heaviest bloomer I have ever produced. I hope that answers a few questions other members might have. Somewhere down the road I will provide a few more specifics on parentage.

Rob Byrnes

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 am

Julie,

I really like your Cherry Frost. Thank you for the updated information. There's some good information there. I look forward to seeing what the actual parentage is after the patent is approved.

I'll be picking up Cherry Frost this spring and look forward to using it as a pollen parent in crosses. Did I read correctly that it took 10 years of testing for it to make it to the market? Congratulations by the way!
Rob Byrnes

joverom@cheqnet.net

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Rob,

The ten years is close. I think I looked at this seedling for 4 years before I considering sending it for testing (but I had already propagated it and had it ready to go). Conard-Pyle/Star Roses tested it for 4 years at their sites in Pennsylvania and California and then sent it off to several other sites around the country for two years of further testing before making the decision to introduce Cherry Frost (they named my seedling but I do love the name). It also took a bit more time to get the propagation numbers up for sale. So, it was a long process as CP truly screens their possible introductions in a rigorous fashion and I guess you'd have to say that the evaluation is not over yet as now the public needs to make the determination that Cherry Frost performs well enough around the country for it to keep selling. That will take additional time.

Julie

joverom@cheqnet.net

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 pm

...and thank you for the congratulations, Rob. I do appreciate it! Julie

Rob Byrnes

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 pm

I wish you much success with your rose Julie. :-)

Rob
Rob Byrnes

philip_la

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm

A very nice plant, by all accounts, and if you do a search on this forum, there is a bit of info. Here's one discussion with link's to stories about Julie's introduction:
http://www.rosebreeders.org/forum/viewt ... ost#p67697
(Julie also posted a beautiful response to forum members on the above thread.)

I suspect that roses with introductions limited to the west might be roses with more of a propensity to BS, with perhaps more concern for resistance to rust or mildew, but I don't recall what made me assume that was the reasoning behind the distributions. I wish they offered more info.

One major beef I have with the new Kordes.us rose site is that Star does a blanket "disease-resistant" rating with adjectives, whereas NewFlora had adopted the Kordes-rosen site's approach to differentiating resistance to BS, and to mildew. Merely an inconvenience for the roses one can cross-reference, but several Kordes roses introduced state-side aren't sold in Europe, and vice-versa. (NewFlora purportedly had to convince Kordes in Europe to take a second gander at Lemon Fizz, which they had initially decided not to market.)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Rob Byrnes

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 am

I was happy to find 3 hips on Cherry Frost yesterday. It feels like 1-2 seeds per hip.
Attachments
B701CBC4-AC21-47C8-998B-D066A1E52DAF.jpeg
Rob Byrnes