Pollen from Rosa xanthina spontanea

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Johannes

Pollen from Rosa xanthina spontanea

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 am

I am looking for pollen of Rosa xanthina spontanea (the sightly double form). It is too cold in my climate to grow. Thanks Johannes p

roseseek

Re: Pollen from Rosa xanthina spontanea

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Good luck finding anything other than plain old five petaled types. I looked for years and it's died out in the US. Dr. Byrne sent me seed from China in hopes of raising some more double types as Meyer did over a century ago, but no luck. Everything that's germinated has been five petals, so I am pimping it on the same roses which resulted in the double Hugonis offspring for me in hopes of lightning striking twice...
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Johannes

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Would it presumptuous to ask for some pollen of the 5 petal form?
I did have seedlings (Amy x Rosa ecae) but lost them to damp. I used to put the pollen parent in the fridge. I would get one or two sick flower with one brush of pollen.
I though if I asked I would have better luck

roseseek

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 pm

It isn't even budded yet, but the most important question is, where do you live, Johannes? Getting it anywhere in the US is easy. Elsewhere is likely not possible now that Weeks roses has introduced active RRD into California.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

Johannes

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello Kim, I am in northern Alberta Canada. A virus is a problem...especially one that I have no experience with. I wish I knew what to do!

roseseek

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Thankfully, I don't have the virus and am quarantining my garden against anything commercially produced here to avoid the potential for it. Also thankfully, there are virtually no roses around me so there shouldn't be much of a danger of anything arriving and becoming established. So far, getting pollen into Canada hasn't proved to be an issue. I've mailed it to Charles there in Canada without a problem, so if you're game, please message me your mailing address and we'll make it happen. I will email you to let you know when the plant is flowering and when I get it in the mail.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

rikuhelin1

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I have the five petal Pickering version plant in the garden since 2007. I can send a picture of the rose in May, just before it begins to bloom, and you can decide if it is the right rose and want the pollen. Calgary based.

Johannes

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you, I would appreciate much.
Email when appropriate. Johannes
Gardenink1 at (ignore this) gmail

jbergeson

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I grew some of the R. xanthina from the seed that Kim mentioned. Note that they were essentially not able to bloom in my USDA Zone 3b climate because of winter dieback, so I grubbed them out.

roseseek

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm sorry they wouldn't flower for you, Joe. Of course, you KNOW THOSE were the fully double ones, right?
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

rikuhelin1

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Sorry Johannes, it is looking slim it is the single "holotype" R. xanthina. I put the parka on, and found it has regular spaced bristles making up about 10-20 % of an arching cane's linear length. Though on the HMF, an odd photo or two photo there are occasional bristles showing. Mine sample's bristles are regular - however bloom's color, petal count and size (small) right, leaflets right, line march of blooms right, and earliest blooming rose along with R. primula (they're always yellow in my garden). It is not R. foetida as too light a yellow, leaves are not right and not "pimpinefolia" like in new growth, and blooms do not have eau de linseed oil etc.. Only other candidate of yellow near species single roses I planted (excluding vendor error), is it could be Hugonis that has lots of bristle (but rose in the wrong place even though over 65). Still no problem to send you pollen as it is a rock hardy non-recurrent single yellow.

rikuhelin1

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Sorry ... errat(a)um? should read rose's leaves "ARE pimpinellifolia" / spinosissima at spring new growth points. Don't have record of ordering a yellow R. spinosissima, or Scot, and have dismissed it as the Canary Bird (extinct in garden) I obtained from Vancouver Island sources.