Color Chart

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

Color Chart

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Someone was kind enough to post a color chart on this forum. I have a question regarding it: Which is the mother and which is the father?
There is a column across the top (horizontally) of colors above the columns and one down the left (vertically) beside the columns, and then of course the columns to find where each intersects.

Some numbers do not change that much if you reverse the color, but some change at least somewhat significantly if you had a specific goal you were aiming for. Have you found the reversal of parents to make much difference when it comes specifically to color? Or other specific traits?
Thanks in advance for you input!

Duane (mnt lover)

John Moe

Re: Color Chart

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Duane,
If you are looking at the same chart that was on the RHA website some years ago, you might be looking at the one developed by Steve McCulloch, Olympia, WA long before it was on the website. Where are you looking at it? I wonder if it is in the archives of the old RHA website. It was first published in the March 97 issue of the newsletter of our local hybridizing group here in Western WA, and reprinted in July of 99. The original chart has across the top is the color of the pollen parent and the color of the seed parent is vertically down the left side.

Hope this is a help to you,
John Moe

mntlover

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.
This was posted as a link here on the forum: what I printed off has the end of the correspondence with the chart, but not
the beginning: so I'm not sure who posted it.
"this is a chart that I found online several years ago. It was always in the back of my mind to link to it..." etc. is what printed I think
I might have only selected part to print.
Thanks again!
Duane

jdreyerrose

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Would love the link to see this chart. Thanks

mntlover

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I finally found where I stumbled across the link. I'll try to paste it here.

http://www.love-of-roses.com/predict-ro ... color.html[/url]

if the link doesn't work then look in the discussion
it was on this forum under "dominant vs recessive"

Thank you to John Moe and Steve McCulloch!

Duane