A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:34 pm

I have been lurking for a while, reading and rereading the various posts. I have greatly appreciated the vast amounts of knowledge that have been shared by each of you. I look forward to learning much in the future and will hopefully be able to return the favor over time.

I am living in northeastern Washington a stones throw from the border. We live up in the mountains so winters tend to linger. I am attempting to breed roses that are more cold hardy. The only ones to make it through the winter without dying back to the ground are a handful of rugosa hybrids and William Baffin. The english roses and kordes roses die back to the ground, if they survive the winter. I am hoping to breed roses that will be cane hardy here or at least hardy to snow line.

My wife and I love English (old, heirloom, etc.) roses. Both the look of the bloom and the fragrance are important to us, so my work is certainly cut out for me, especially when you add in disease resistance, growth habit, etc. I am really looking forward to learning anything that can help in this pursuit, as well as hearing what your goals are.

I wish to give a huge thank you as this pursuit began more than a decade ago thanks to something written by Paul Barden. It has been put aside for a decade due to work and moving, and I am just now starting again. There are seeds awaiting planting and the fun should begin in the next month or so.

Duane

Peter Harris

Re: new member

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Welcome, Duane.

Cold-hardiness and disease resistance are qualities a good many of us have been breeding for, so I'm sure you'll find lots of company on this forum.

Peter

jbergeson

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Welcome, Duane!

Joe Bergeson
NW Minnesota
Zone 3b

jrichardson

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Welcome Duane and good luck on your pursuits. I am Deep in the Heart of Texas so I am breeding for heat tolerance.

JRichardson.