About #1100

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Larry Davis

About #1100

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:17 am

Not to distract from David's achievements, I've moved this to a separate line.

For Philipla. Unfortunately this rose took 5 years to bloom at all. I guess it needs a specific amount of accumulated biomass to feel like it. I made a bunch of cuttings this summer and will grow them out to see how many years they take to bloom, and if enough survive until spring I will offer for distribution. Hardiness is likely to be about what it is for C.B., maybe -10 F for a few nights per winter with no plant cover, possibly a bit better given the presence of some genes from the Austrian side of the family. Probably not as good as Above and Beyond.

Lemon Fizz might be a good cross but I see about nil chance of it working directly on #1100.

Unfortunately neither # 1100 or A & B sets hips better that 1-5 % in my experience with a range of pollens. But both do OK as donors onto a wide range of parents. Whether seeds will germinate is the next Q.

JoeB, I like that P/Y blend. It looks very like one of my main parents these days, a cross of New Dawn x pollen from a mix of yellow minis. That rose is also hardy to at least -10 for some nights, about like ND. Likely not good enough for your area. But it gives yellow offspring when crossed with yellows and had good BS resistance (not total). I'm hoping that seeds from crosses with #1100 and A & B may yield repeat-blooming hardy shrubs. Just have to wait. If they arrive, Lemon Fizz or some other hardy yellows might be good crossing material. Next year at earliest.

jbergeson

Re: About #1100

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 am

Larry,

--veering off topic already---

I was lucky to go about 7 for 7 pollinating a potted Above & Beyond this season. I hope I don't jinx it by bragging. Fat hips from Hazeldean pollen.

Larry Davis

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Good for you.I got three on one plant that was infected with RRD. Whether that had anything to do with it I have no idea. But no hips took on 2 other plants that were not infected. I was using pollen mostly of things like Carefree sunshine, Rainbow KO or whatever else blooms early. Of course I tried reciprocal crosses of #1100 and A & B. For 100 or so flowers on #1100 I got 1 seed (pollinated mostly with RKO and A & B). I have very limited experience with the Canadian products and have never used them in breeding.

philip_la

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, Larry. Lemon Fizz is pretty darned resilient, and didn't even seem too fazed when temps exceeded 100 here. Never a huge flush for me, but a pretty consistent production of blooms, and no more disease than e.g. Carefree Sunshine, (though rust is virtually non-existent, and mildew relatively uncommon for me). I also have thus far found Sunny Sky to be an impressive Kordes yellow, FWIW.

Has anybody grown Above and Beyond in a hot climate? I'm not sure that a rose with R. laxa in it would like warmer climes that much, but it is a nice one. (I think I asked that when news of David's intro was first posted here years ago, but wonder if, in the interim...)

And what can folks say about R. laxa, per se? I assume that either it resents heat, or needs a cooler dormancy period? It's a species that I think has a lot of merit for use in the north, but could a guy on the hot plains of Texas do anything with it?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]