RrGT1, a key gene associated with anthocyanin biosynthesis, was isolated from Rosa rugosa and identified via overexpress

A meeting place for rose breeders.
henry kuska

RrGT1, a key gene associated with anthocyanin biosynthesis, was isolated from Rosa rugosa and identified via overexpress

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 am

Title: "RrGT1, a key gene associated with anthocyanin biosynthesis, was isolated from Rosa rugosa and identified via overexpression and VIGS"

See:

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/sd/p ... 2DB7D00DA0

Karl K

Re: RrGT1, a key gene associated with anthocyanin biosynthesis, was isolated from Rosa rugosa and identified via overexp

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:54 am

The authors managed to hit one of my pet peeves: identifying a hybrid as a species.

"Interestingly, R. davurica is one of the parents of R. rugosa ‘Zizhi’, so we speculate that this reason might explain the similar expression patterns between both Rosa species."
Karl

Larry Davis

Re: RrGT1, a key gene associated with anthocyanin biosynthesis, was isolated from Rosa rugosa and identified via overexp

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 am

I think where they went astray was in accepting Zizhi as being "R rugosa" even while knowing that it is a hybrid. I'd say that's more a failure of the typical rose classification which bins things into groups that carry species names even when we know they' re hybrids. And secondarily that during translation into English species, variety and cultivar are not used as precisely as should be.

The very interesting part of the paper is that red color is so dependent on the glycosylation of an anthocyanin, not just synthesis of the core molecule. Now I see how a cross of pale pink Rainbow KO onto a lighter pink colored or even yellow rose like Playboy rose can lead to a super-intense red.

Overall the work looks very good.

Karl K

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Larry,
You are correct about the authors confusing horticultural terminology with botanical. It is no less common in the U.S. How many times have we seen garden irises identified as Iris germanica? Some of the old "German Irises" are still found in gardens, but these were not derived from I. germanica.

'Zizhi' was discussed by Tang in 1994. This is all I have been able to get of the article.

Tang SQ (1994). Breeding of new variety of Rugosa-rose. J. Beijing Forestry University. 16(4): 60-64.
"From 1960 to 1982, on the basis of the collection of breeding materials, the choice of the parents and the observation of the inheritance, five types of rugosa-rose, viz, high-yield type, ornamental type, high-yield and ornamental type, rust-resistant type and rust-immune type were obtained by means of intra and interspecific crosses."

As for the shades, there is considerable difference between monoglucoside and diglucoside. And while it is possible to breed a pink rose colored by the diglucoside (diluted), a monoglucoside pink is more stable (less spotting and fading).
Karl
In another source, "SQ Tang" is identified as "T Shunqing".

Larry Davis

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 pm

I did a little detective work. The journal has changed names at least 3 times and is now Forest Ecosystems a Springer open access journal. Previous names, Forestry Studies, and Forest Science and Practice. The original article is available through Oriprobe information services for $31.95. I google searched Shunqing Tang (Tang Shunqing in Chinese) with Beijing Forestry University and 1994 as co-terms and abstract came up for this article.

Karl K

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Larry Davis wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 am
The very interesting part of the paper is that red color is so dependent on the glycosylation of an anthocyanin, not just synthesis of the core molecule. Now I see how a cross of pale pink Rainbow KO onto a lighter pink colored or even yellow rose like Playboy rose can lead to a super-intense red.
This paper gives more detail on why the 3-monoglycosides and 3,5-diglycosides are independent in rose, though not in most other plants. They share the same skeleton, but are "sugared" by different enzymes.

Nature 435, 757-758 (9 June 2005)
Plant biochemistry: Anthocyanin biosynthesis in roses
Jun Ogata, Yoshiaki Kanno, Yoshio Itoh, Hidehito Tsugawa & Masahiko Suzuki
http://booksc.xyz/s/?q=Plant+biochemist ... es&e=1&t=0
Figure 1 | A previously undiscovered rose anthocyanidin glucosyltransferase and its phylogeny. a, Comparison of the reaction pathways of anthocyanin glycosylation in the rose and in other plants: the rose glucosyltransferase RhGT1 catalyses two reactions instead of one. 3-GT, glucosyltransferase specific for the hydroxyl group at position 3 on the anthocyanidin molecule.