Consistent early germination from a parent and the germination method I've been using

A meeting place for rose breeders.
david zlesak

Consistent early germination from a parent and the germination method I've been using

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 am

This past week I moved baggies of rose seed to the refrigerator that were at room temperature the past month or so and it is fun to see some germinating. Over the years it has been the same parent that is the precocious germinator and my indicator that I better get the rest of the seed in the fridge. This precocious germinator is a pretty rose. It is a cross of ['Hawkeye Belle' x ( another Buck rose I don't have the records for x (R. palustris x 'John Cabot'))] x 'Gaye Hammond'. It is basically a one time bloomer that is somewhat climbing and is very fragrant. It could use a bit better health and has glossy foliage.

Years ago at a Drs. Carol and Jerry Baskin's seed workshop I was encouraged to use warm stratification (room temp for rose seeds in moist substrate before cold) and it seems to be helpful. For some roses it doesn't matter and for others it helps with better germination after the cold treatment for overall percent germination. It seems to sometimes help unify germination after the cold period compared to putting seeds directly into the fridge after extraction. With the moist peat there can be a little bit fungus starting to grow on the seeds, but it seems to just soften their pericarps and may help with germination.
Attachments
IMG_8527 Fran (1).JPG
IMG_9027.JPG
Early germinating seedlings