henry kuska

Re: Harvested hips

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:03 am

Download the full text at the site below to see my enzyme experiment

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ld_Enzymes

Rob Byrnes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Here's one from today that I've been waiting on to harvest.

(OTB x 11Z29) x "Fire 'n Spice". This breaks down to (Outa the Blue x (Prairie Joy × Knock Out)) x (unknown × Belle Poitevine). Some good genes here in this one too.

"Fire 'n Spice" is completely disease free here in BS central. I'm finding that there is some fertility using its pollen.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.69222&tab=1

All that is left to harvest are OP seeds.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

jbergeson

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks, RBaxter.

Thanks, Henry.

Rob, I had Fire 'n Spice for a while. Couldn't get anything from it, I think, and I no longer have it. I can't remember if I ever planted it outside to see how it performed in this climate.

So, about the enzyme thing. Hmm. Henry's research seems to imply significant improvement over tap water. Is this cold stratification thing all about weakening the pericarp? I remember when I misguidedly soaked my seeds in straight and strong bleach solutions. I'm sure I killed many seeds, but there was one rose whose seeds responded very well to that near-toxic treatment...they were big seeds. I haven't found out yet if that rose's seeds will germinate as well under conventional stratification.

Rob Byrnes

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:39 pm

jbergeson wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:03 pm
Thanks for posting, Rob!

I like the Gaye Hammond crosses.

Morden Blush x Hazeldean...what does that one look like? Do you have it or did you get pollen?

Campfire, although I'm not big on it for disease resistance, can give bloom power and good color saturation. I have a Prairie Joy x Campfire that has been showing lots of color for most of the summer. Therefore your Canadian Shield x Campfire might be pretty showy...and hardy.
Hi Joe. Just saw that I hadn't responded to your message. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get out of Gaye Hammond. I'm hoping that yellow and resistance will be carried forward.

I received pollen from Morden Blush x Hazeldean so I don't know what it looks like.

I share your concrens about resistance of Campfire so I'm trying to match up with other hardy and resistant cv. I agree with you that something hardy should come from my Canadian Shield x Campfire. Showy would be cool.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

philip_la

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

I had not seen the article on this page before now, but the timing is interesting. Last month I came across a recently expired bottle of Sporacidin which is a mix of enzymes -- I believe, amylase, protease, and lipase -- and I wondered if it might be something to try in solution to soften the sutures on some seeds. I decided that the results, inevitably, would be akin to Joe's bleach experiment, and would probably kill the embryos since I had no idea as to what kind of concentration (I assume very weak) nor timeline I should aim for. But now ya got me thinking there might be more validity to that crazy idea... I suppose it would have to be a soak and then a very thorough rinse prior to germinating -- I am quite sure any remaining enzyme would do-in an emerging radicle, should such emerge... Henry, do you think there is potential merit to such, or would I just be killing seeds?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

henry kuska

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:12 pm

philip, I would first try on some non important seeds. However, the drain cleaner method has been demonstrated to work so you might want to compare the two methods to see which is better.