Making room...

A meeting place for rose breeders.
roseseek

Making room...

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm

I shall be removing the following from my pot ghetto as I am no longer using them for breeding and wish to create more room and less work. Should anyone here in the Continental US be interested in cuttings, please let me know soonest as these are seriously endangered of going into the trash.

Basye's Legacy - this IS the plant I propagated from the plant Dr. Basye sent The Huntington, which he identified as 77-361. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.215354d I love the rose and would grow it as a four seasons landscape plant IF I were able to do any "landscaping", which I am not. So, this plant, which has been with me for easily thirty years, needs a new home.

Smiling Jean - Sean McCann's brilliant coral, phototropic shrub with the healthiest, glossiest foliage I have seen in years. It won't set seed in my climate (or perhaps potted?) nor have I succeeded in mining anything from its pollen, but that could be climate or just "me". It's a beautiful rose, roots easily and grows well own root. Even here in the strong coastal influence, there is NO fungus on the foliage..NONE.

R. Arkansana "Peppermint"

I know there will be more...that's what the "edit" button is for!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Re: Making room...

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 pm

Zoiks! Geez, Kim, I'm glad I visited the forum tonight!

I have debated long and hard as to if and when I might be cheeky enough (in view of all that you have heretofore shared) to solicit starts of your Legacy rose. (I always assumed there would be a time when I would be able to adequately *reciprocate*, and then I could ask!) That rose has been on my list of must-haves for a couple years, more so since I learned of and began coveting the abyssinian rose, purportedly in its pedigree...

I would be *very* interested, but would implore you to insure that stock be distributed elsewhere as well. Indeed, as I have a poor success rate with cuttings, and have even lost a number of plants in the last half dozen years, I would understand if you felt a more suitable grower should receive it -- just let me know who to hit up for cuttings! (I'm guessing you would prefer to give the pot locally than mail it too, now that I think of it... If that's the case, I would like to attempt to root some cuttings, my deplorable success rate notwithstanding...)

I have several seedlings of yours coming along, and I remain cautiously optimistic of some interesting results. (Only a couple have bloomed thus far, however...) I'm pleasantly surprised with the densely branching architecture of one of your MORsoucrest crosses thus far.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

roseseek

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 am

Hi Philip, I am, too. Don't debate and it isn't "cheeky". If you want something, please ask. No reciprocation required, though postage is always nice! The reality is, I have schlepped this rose from one location to another four times now over the past eleven years. If I had the room and ability to put it into the ground, then let it just grow into other plants, I would. But, I don't and I'm not going to be able to. If no one wants pieces, then it all ends up in the green waste bin. If you are the only one wanting pieces, then it rests with you and the rest of it goes into the green waste. There are no "locals". I don't know where the "roses" from the big box stores go as I never see them in front yards driving around town. There is no "rose society" locally. The nearest is Santa Barbara and none of these are types anyone in a rose society would find intriguing. I have filled the green waste bin twice now with "not rare" and my own seedlings and recycled nearly twenty cubic feet of soil. I cut the (IHTXLB)XFED and the repeat OADEFED back so I can dump them Friday as I have to be in Santa Barbara Thursday. There are still far too many. It requires too much time to water it all and with the winds, that is daily. I am tired of watering... Congratulations on the seedlings! I hope something proves itself worthy of further use.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

matt lustig

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Kim, I would be interested in Smiling Jean, given what you shared of its disease resistance. I'd like to see if it will set hips here in southern PA. I'll contact you (PM) to see if this can work out. Thanks for the offer!

Matt

srpshoy

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 pm

I'd be interested in R. arkansas Peppermint.
Stephen

srpshoy

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:24 pm

R. arkansana Peppermint - can't spell. Stephen