henry kuska

Thread about rose rosette virus in commercial roses

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 pm

The following thread is probably one that hybridizers should be aware of:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/54323 ... t-all#n=27

Larry Davis

Re: Thread about rose rosette virus in commercial roses

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm

This does make me just a little nervous. AS I mentioned on a thread earlier this year, I got Easy on the Eyes for $4 at Menards ( a big midwestern hardware chain). They had 2 whole pallets, at least 2 cu yd deep boxes, full of bagged roses labeled # 1&1/2. But what I bought looked like it was #1 grade and a newish CV. On Sat I noticed a shoot with RRD at and near the top cluster of flowers. I cut it down and hope it just blew in from somewhere like a nearby rugosa that showed RRD a couple months ago.. The prefix on that CV is WEK, though it was introduced by Edmunds. I hope that potentially contaminated stock is not being dumped on the market. Not that it matters too much around here with more than 50 bushes on campus and nearby pulled for RRD last year. But if there are states still "free of" RRD it would be good to try and keep them more or less that way.

The thing I worry most about is that we find a rose that is resistant to RRD and it turns out to be named Typhoid Mary. Suppose it is a hidden carrier. Roses carry many viruses, most of which do little obvious harm to the carriers.

roseseek

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm

I hope it was an errant mite attack, too, Larry. However, I do not put anything past any corporation any more.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Plazbo

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:00 am

Being cynical, they could be attempting scorched earth. I mean they knew they had it for a few years before it became public, thats effort to destroy the business...unless they pull everyone else/competition down to the same level. Aren't likely to go out of business if everyone else is infected too.

roseseek

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 am

Unless everyone else is able to sue them into oblivion for bringing them down,too.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Plazbo

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 am

Parent company declares bankruptcy, one of the acquired companies (these are typically held for legal and tax loop holes) is "liquidated" to someone connected to the owner/s, company is liable (and bankrupt) the owner typically won't be if they've set up the company to typical standards. It's a fairly common legal loophole thats exploited the world over, a company is often a separate entity from owners/operators. Given they are a larger business they probably have avenues to skirt a lot of financial responsibility that could be directed at the company, it's just a question if they ride it out or jump ship and rename the operation.