Moving micro minis indoors

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Rob Byrnes

Moving micro minis indoors

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 am

I'd like to move a few potted micro-minis indoors to be able to root cuttings and let them fill out again. What can I expect in regards to pests and how can I nip pest issues in the bud...so to speak. :-)
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

Larry Davis

Re: Moving micro minis indoors

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm

My usual problem going from outdoors to indoors is spidermites on roses. Thrips can be a problem with other plants but doesn't seem to be much with roses, other than eating pollen. I just whack the plants and let them grow back outdoors while the cuttings are under lights in a nice, "sterile" potting mix. I always cover with a plastic vegetable bag rather than setting up a misting table. One bag per pot (qt cottage cheese box) of 5 cuttings. I have rooted single node cuttings of regular plants, and the small 3 leaf flower side shoots of something once flowering like Above and Beyond (this year). Until frost time the parent bushes will always do better outside IMO. Particularly if they have spidermites, the natural predators will keep them under control better outside.

philip_la

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

Well, when, after a very brief "outing", I moved some tender young seedlings back indoors to avoid the heat and drying winds this spring, I found a moth had laid an egg for a cutworm in one of the pots (those can do a number on young seedlings in short order!) aphids appeared, and then later, whiteflies got on all of them (though a fuchsia I purchased off a clearance rack is the suspected culprit for the last pest.)
The whiteflies are no fun to deal with. The others were comparably easy to address. I really hadn't seen signs of any such pests outdoors where I suppose the predators kept them in check.
Disease and insect pressures are probably pretty well established in your yard at this time of the year, so on the one hand, it might help you to anticipate what is around, but on the flip side, pests are already active and might be more prone to infesting your plants when taken away from predators that might otherwise keep such in check.
I wonder if prophylactic application of some insecticidal soap might be advisable?
Like Larry, I'm not entirely sure I understand your reasoning for bringing mature plants inside in your climate this time of year. I would imagine they might fare better outdoors.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

jbergeson

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:13 pm

I was going to say spider mites before I read Larry's reply.

A lot of my roses that I order from I think Chamblee's come in with some sort of mites. I put them in the greenhouse and the mites go crazy.

Robert Rippetoe told me that those mites die if they're under water for 60 seconds, so I should just hose off the foliage for a minute or two.

I imagine it might be a different mite, but maybe spider mites are the same? With a mini you could just dunk the whole plant in a bucket of water (maybe with a tiny bit of mild soap so the water makes good contact with the mites) for a minute or two.

It mite work.

philip_la

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Ouch...
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Rob Byrnes

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Ha Ha Good one Joe!

I wanted to take cuttings now, from some micro minis, to root much the way Larry does (bag method). I'm zone 7 but have had winter losses of some promising roses that should be hardy to at least zone 6. So, I was thinking that I could over winter these cuttings in my basement under lights. The mother plants would be moved to a sheltered exterior location. It occurred to me that the cuttings to be rooted might be bringing in some pests that might find my new seedlings (under lights) and wreak havoc.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. Much appreciated.
Rob Byrnes

Don

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:32 pm

The key to moving plants indoors sans mites is the soil. You can kill the mites easily enough with insecticidal spray or soap and water but the eggs remain in the soil and are nearly indestructible. Thoroughly rinse the roots and re-pot them in soil that has been steam sterilized (moisten the soil, cover the pan with aluminum foil and heat it in the oven at 110 degrees C or so for a couple of hours until it steams a bit).
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

Rob Byrnes

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 am

Thank you for the tip on treating for mite eggs. What a great idea.
Rob Byrnes

philip_la

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Steam sterilizing smaller batches is a heckuva lot easier in the microwave. The lingering odor might not amuse significant others, however...
Philip F.

roseseek

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Bomb the neighbors and break out the BBQ! It has to smell better than the fish mine is drying in net bags on a rack in her back yard...
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Larry Davis

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 pm

I can see that beating mite eggs is really hard. And unfortunately the microwave will not kill the eggs directly, just as it won't kill cockroaches. They have to be poached by the steam or directly hard boiled. Sometimes quick-freezing will kill insects, though the eggs may be full of antifreeze molecules. Any data out there?